Conditions at Mt. Sneffels for this weekend (9/27)?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alan A
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions at Mt. Sneffels for this weekend (9/27)?

Post by Alan A »

Hey Folks, first time posting here. My family is heading to Telluride this weekend, and hope to Jeep over Imogene and up Yankee Boy Basin to Mt. Sneffles. Was hoping to hike Sneffels from the upper trailhead. Does anyone know if there is snow up there? Conditions? We'll bag it if there is any more than a couple inches. Not sure what to expect down there as I rarely get to the San Juans. Thanks in advance.
Old Goat
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Conditions at Mt. Sneffels for this weekend (9/27)?

Post by Old Goat »

Please correct me if the rules have recently changed: From Telluride, the road to Imogene was one-way in the opposite direction you are going. When we wanted to get to Yankee Boy Basin, we had to go around and over Dallas Divide, through Ridgeway, then Jeep up from Ouray.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Black Bear Pass is one-way. Imogene is two-way
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Old Goat
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Old Goat »

muchos nachos, amigo :oops:
The guy who rented us the jeep must have told us that for safety reasons rather than a legal absolute.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

No idea why he would have told you that, and I can't think of any 'safety' reason either unless they didn't want you on Imogene at all or there was a miscommunication. Most people who rent in Telluride go east over Imogene in order to come back west over Black Bear, since Black Bear is one-way from 'the top' down to the powerhouse switchback on the Telluride side.

For the OP, coming down Imogene to go up into Yankee you have two choices. If you take the first fork to the left that goes directly up that way, it's a very rocky, bumpy, and wet road. If you stay right and keep going downhill, you'll pass through the mine and come to a junction with 26 where you can turn left back uphill, which is a much smoother route and potentially faster. Either way you're looking at a couple of hours driving over some stuff I wouldn't really want to do in the dark. Not sure how late a climbing start you want to make, even if it is a shorter one from there.
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LadyClimber »

The mountain peaks got a dusting this weekend in the San Juans, but that's it. I doubt there is much left, if any.
Alan A
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan A »

Thanks all for the info. The bad news is that my Jeep is acting up and I'm not gonna get her fixed before we go there. So I may have to get up early and do the trail from the lower trailhead. I could have worse problems that this. :)
bradhughes
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bradhughes »

PM sent
Hatchet
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hatchet »

Wonder how it'll be lookin this weekend... Lotsa precip over this week

I was planning on a saturday morning summit but now I'm thinking maybe I should wait til monday to let things melt a lil...
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I'm in Ridgway. Snow above 10,000 feet. Been wet here all day. I scrapped my plans of the SW Ridge.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

San Juans look snowy...

http://www.silvertonmountain.com/upload ... 0649d9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;