Longs Peak - What You Should Know

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Nfreelen
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak - What You Should Know

Post by Nfreelen »

I just did Longs a couple of weeks ago and the biggest thing for me was the amount of ice-in August. I've read that it's possible to see ice and snow any month of the year but I didn't really think it would be an issue. I was dead wrong. It added about 3 hours to our trip.

Another thing I learned was that there are many people up there late in the day that are not prepared. Be sure to do your homework before you attempt the climb and be ready for anything.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I noticed in #7 that you mentioned that Park Rangers sometimes closed the Keyhole in adverse weather. Is this true? I had never heard this before.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

bdloftin77 wrote: Getting enough sleep is really important, especially for the early start. We left from Fort Collins at 1:15 in the morning to get there. I only had about three hours of sleep.
So make sure you go to bed really early, and get enough sleep, because that is a decently big factor for this hike.
I'd suggest making sure to get a ton of sleep two nights before a big climb, since the excitement of the big day is going to make it hard to sleep as you've experienced. I've(or someone else, I can't remember) hypothesized that the night before the night before has the most influence to how you feel when you start climbing on the big day. I've had a good number of sleepless nights before the climb and done just fine thanks to good sleep before, and bad days having gotten plenty of sleep overnight...w. hether or not it was a big mountain that kept me up or something pretty small and easy. It's worth experimenting with.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

And with the length of the hike and thousands of people on trail each season, pack a WAG bag for human waste.
Sure feces is biodegradable, but so is the human body :-" , and both take to long to do so up high and ruin the experience for other hikers. :oops: :-& Any outhouse you spot, USE IT! Whether you think you need to or not! :wink: :lol:
http://briangreen.net/2011/09/carrying- ... e-kit.html
http://www.basspro.com/The-WAG-Bag-Kit- ... uct/45416/
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

TallGrass wrote:Any outhouse you spot, USE IT! Whether you think you need to or not! :wink: :lol:
THIS. Both times I've come off Longs through the boulder field, it's been a mad rush for the outhouses.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

there are 53 official summits, as designated by the USGS, and 58 by aficionados of 14er bagging
Actually, it's the other way around. 58 USGS named summits, and 53 for 300-foot prominence purists.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Great article and great info in this thread.
brooked
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by brooked »

TallGrass wrote:And with the length of the hike and thousands of people on trail each season, pack a WAG bag for human waste.
Sure feces is biodegradable, but so is the human body :-" , and both take to long to do so up high and ruin the experience for other hikers. :oops: :-& Any outhouse you spot, USE IT! Whether you think you need to or not! :wink: :lol:
http://briangreen.net/2011/09/carrying- ... e-kit.html
http://www.basspro.com/The-WAG-Bag-Kit- ... uct/45416/
Never heard of the WAG BAG. 8-[ Guess you learn something every day.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

good article
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

When you reach the summit, you are only halfway done."
I agree with this. For me, I feel coming down is still easier, but more tiring in a sense, because the thrill of the summit has come and gone.

I know a couple women (not picking on ladies per se) that made the summit without too much difficulty, but totally had a meltdown on the way back to the car.

Also at the very end of your article you say "Visit the LONG peak page...". Of course it should be Longs Peak.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
bjkent76
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bjkent76 »

Nfreelen wrote:I just did Longs a couple of weeks ago and the biggest thing for me was the amount of ice-in August. I've read that it's possible to see ice and snow any month of the year but I didn't really think it would be an issue. I was dead wrong. It added about 3 hours to our trip.

Another thing I learned was that there are many people up there late in the day that are not prepared. Be sure to do your homework before you attempt the climb and be ready for anything.

I did Longs this past Monday and there were patchy spots of verglas in the Trough, Narrows and Home Stretch. It was largely avoidable, but I almost face-planted in the Trough on patch of nearly invisible ice.

Also agree that the descent is much more worrisome than going up. Descending the Home Stretch I think is the toughest part of the climb. That said, overall it is an awesome climb. Loved it!!
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Is the homestretch as steep as it looks in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xcg0NXH0s8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;