Sunrise hike to Bierstadt followed by Sawtooth and Evans

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cooker30
Trip Reports (0)

Sunrise hike to Bierstadt followed by Sawtooth and Evans

Post by Cooker30 »

So my girlfriend and I are temporary residents here in Colorado and wanted to hit a few of the 14'ers while were are here. We did a sunrise hike for Grays with a group and felt so good we wanted to head over to Torrey's through the saddle. Unfortunately two of our group members weren't up for it and since they were our ride, we had to head down. For our first 14'er we had a blast hiking through the night and seeing the sunrise. We now are itching to do more and thought Bierstadt looked fun. We also wanted to up the ante and get more adventurous but hiking through the sawtooth. I'm an adrenalin junkie and she is a bit sketched out about hiking the sawtooth by all the pictures we've seen.

What time would you guys recommend leaving the TH for the hike to summit Bierstadt for sunrise? Also, if leaving from Boulder, how long is the drive to Guanella pass TH?
Any other suggestions about crossing to the sawtooth is greatly appreciated. She's a little nervous and I want her to feel as comfortable as possible.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Sunrise hike to Bierstadt followed by Sawtooth and Evans

Post by James Dziezynski »

Boulder to Gunella Pass parking is about 1 hour 15 mins or so, depending on where you are in Boulder. The hike up Bierstadt is only 3.2 miles, so if you're a quick hiker 2 - 2.5 hours is reasonable. If you want to be ON the summit for the sunrise, maybe a 3:30 start?

As for the Sawtooth, it's a solid class 3 route but the challenge is in the route finding. More than one experienced climber has gotten turned around by trying to navigate the more difficult lines, which quickly can lead into class 4 and 5 territory. If you're confident in your ability to find good lines, go for it. The write ups here are excellent and will be a great help.

There is going to be some exposure along the way -- I'm not sure there's a way to make that easier, but it *is* true class 3 and you can always back off any move you don't feel good about.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I would guess you'll be about 1.5 hours from Boulder to the top of the pass. But who knows how long it'll take you to get to the summit from the parking lot. Really fit people do that ascent in about an hour. Average hikers who stop occasionally for water, snacks, and pictures often take more like 3 hours to go up. My 7 year old did it in about 5 hours. So I guess it's kind of up to you to figure out the timing.

The Sawtooth is plenty of fun and there is only one real class 3 pitch. But if you're girlfriend isn't comfortable doing that part then there really isn't any place to bail out other than turning around and going back up over Bierstadt and then back down the way you came.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Cooker30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cooker30 »

Thanks for the info, guys! We plan on doing the hike Friday night/Saturday. We are copying all the detailed route pictures from other posts so we can use the photos a guides on our phones as we scale through the sawtooth. Also, any suggestions on what to bring for passing through the willows on the way down? Seems a lot of people are encountering a muddy section that brings down the moral of hikers on the decent. We were thinking of garbage bags on the feet/lower legs so we don't trash our shoes/keep them dry. Thanks again for helping out the adventurous noob 14'er couple.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

I barely survived the willows and swore I'd rather have gone back across the Sawtooth and over Bierstadt to get back to the TH.

I think SurfNTurf has a good description of another alternative here:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
MountainSlayer
14ers: 40 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainSlayer »

Have you thought about camping near Guanalla? I feel as if the need to wake up so early to drive from Boulder to the TH will only add to her anxiety, and camping nearby gives her the chance to get comfortable just being in the area. Actually, driving early in the morning gives ME anxiety, and I love sunrise and alpine starts.

Also, I have already done the Sawtooth from Bierstadt, but did not do Evans - and plan on doing the Tour d'Abyss with my wife, this coming Saturday morning, and am really stoked for it - but I clearly remember the Sawtooth being very long and taxing, so you might be looking at being single after - ha! On the other hand, maybe she has built it up so much that it will end up being much easier; you just never know.

I also want to echo what has already been said about the only option of bailing is to return...all...the...way...back...over...Bierstadt. And the sketchiest parts are towards the end of the Sawtooth (from Bierstadt), so the return may make for a very unhappy girlfriend.
Last edited by MountainSlayer on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

I hiked to Mt Evans via Mt Spaulding last Friday....didn't bother with Bierstadt or the Sawtooth (and the willows)....just after the large lake, I took a left over two hills and ended up on a sketchy trail...up above tree line, the tundra fields offered really fantastic wildflowers...

I camped 3.5 miles down from Guanella Pass in a dispersed camping spot along Guanella Pass road...
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

BenfromtheEast wrote:I barely survived the willows and swore I'd rather have gone back across the Sawtooth and over Bierstadt to get back to the TH.

I think SurfNTurf has a good description of another alternative here:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

+1 the willows sucked. and with this recent rain, they are gonna be really really nasty.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Cooker30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cooker30 »

Thanks for all the help. I agree, with all this rain, it's inevitable that the willows will be a complete mess. After reading the link of SurfNTurf's trek, I've attempted to dissect the info and create a rough estimate of what the route would look like on a topo map. I've been able to locate both lakes he mentions as well as the trees we pass through. Where I get lost is after he passes the second lake, does he trek back to the right and go up the gully? Or keep left and go up the saddle between Spalding and Gray Wolf. I feel if there's a way to reach the gully while taking this route, it would be a huge time/mess saver. Thanks again for everyone's help! Getting excited for the hike tomorrow night/Saturday early AM!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Once you're at the second lake, traversing to the gulley is pointless - why go out of your way to find loose rock? Better to start up the Spalding/Grey Wolf valley, then turn right up the slopes toward Evans. Many variations are possible at this point - I liked sticking to the right edge for a while, as you get an interesting view of the Sawtooth. At some point start contouring left above the top of the gulley toward Evans. It's all wide-open tundra up there.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Here's a view from the top of the headwall above lake #2 toward the gulley and Sawtooth, with Evans just peeking over the ridge. Hiking up the tundra on the left is my preference, once you get high enough to get past the little stream.
Gulley.jpg
Gulley.jpg (143.48 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Cooker30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cooker30 »

Awesome info Jim. Thanks! The picture really helps putting it into perspective. We plan on doing Bierstadt, sawtooth and Evans in that order so our plan to dodge the willows won't be till our decent. With that being said, do you still think we should keep to the tundra and head down the valley or give the gully a shot and cut right when we clear it?just want to pick everyone's brain so we have a plan of attack. Thanks!