Registry on La Plata Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JeremiahJohnson
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Registry on La Plata Peak?

Post by JeremiahJohnson »

Had my first hike up La Plata today, what an amazing mountain.

I wasn't able to find a registry, nor were the two buddies I was with. Anyone know what's up?
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Registry on La Plata Peak?

Post by Mtnman200 »

I assume that you mean a summit register. They tend to fill up extremely quickly on fourteeners, plus some folks (including the Forest Service) will remove them from the summits and others will vandalize them. The registers tend to stay in place a lot longer on thirteeners.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Ive had the same experience, I think I've been on more 14ers that either didn't have them or were missing everything including the endcap than ones that had an intact register. And the opposite for 13ers - I've seen more that had intact registers than didn't. Plus, the ones on 13ers are more fun - you can get a feel for who's climbed the peak in the last couple years, rather than see a bunch of names you don't recognize from the last few days on a 14er.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Ok, dumb question. What is the purpose of these registries other than somebody summiting being able to see when other people have summited? I’ve given up on adding my entry to them as they were typically completely full pieces of paper, jammed into a tube.
Century Bound, eventually.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Dan_Suitor wrote:Ok, dumb question. What is the purpose of these registries other than somebody summiting being able to see when other people have summited? I’ve given up on adding my entry to them as they were typically completely full pieces of paper, jammed into a tube.
Other than for exactly for what you stated, SAR does use them as a reference when looking for lost/missing or overdue hikers.
I remember being up on Kit Carson when the SAR team was looking for a missing guy from Wyoming (Firefighter if I remember correctly). They
saw he had signed in on top and thus slightly changed their scope of area in looking for the guy...body. :(
Plus, the ones on 13ers are more fun - you can get a feel for who's climbed the peak in the last couple years, rather than see a bunch of names you don't recognize from the last few days on a 14er.
So True!!
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

There is no purpose other than the one you stated. Summit registers are litter in my opinion; along the same line as signs, food bags, and other crap left on summits. LNT!!
I'm slower than Scott P.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

GregMiller wrote:Plus, the ones on 13ers are more fun - you can get a feel for who's climbed the peak in the last couple years, rather than see a bunch of names you don't recognize from the last few days on a 14er.
The registers on the lower and less accessible 13ers read like a who's who of hardcore Colorado climbers.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Dan_Suitor wrote:Ok, dumb question. What is the purpose of these registries other than somebody summiting being able to see when other people have summited? I’ve given up on adding my entry to them as they were typically completely full pieces of paper, jammed into a tube.
Climb remote and lesser peaks, and you'll understand the value of a summit registry.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

TravelingMatt wrote:
GregMiller wrote:Plus, the ones on 13ers are more fun - you can get a feel for who's climbed the peak in the last couple years, rather than see a bunch of names you don't recognize from the last few days on a 14er.
The registers on the lower and less accessible 13ers read like a who's who of hardcore Colorado climbers.
The best registers are found in mason jars.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
2giqs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2giqs »

152 - Copy.JPG
152 - Copy.JPG (191.18 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I've usually found them stuffed full of old sheets, or trash. not very useful
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
RunRalphieRun
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RunRalphieRun »

The register on Grays and Torreys the day after Memorial day could be pretty useful... :lol: