How Many Days for Wilson Group?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

How Many Days for Wilson Group?

Post by Kevo »

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I couldn't find anything when searching.

How many days is realistic to climb the Wilson group? Can it be done in 2 days while avoiding the N side of El Diente? Is there a generally agreed upon itinerary for doing all 3 in 2 days? Is 3 days more realistic?

Thanks!
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Re: How Many Days for Wilson Group?

Post by wildlobo71 »

My standard recommendation is:

Day 1 - Wilson Peak from Silverpick Basin TH; drive out to Kilpacker afterwards, sleep.
Day 2 - El Diente and Wilson from Kilpacker Basin, traverse (or drop and forego the traverse).
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

wildlobo71 wrote:My standard recommendation is:

Day 1 - Wilson Peak from Silverpick Basin TH; drive out to Kilpacker afterwards, sleep.
Day 2 - El Diente and Wilson from Kilpacker Basin, traverse (or drop and forego the traverse).
Thanks!

Does that require backtracking back on the traverse (El D->Wilson->El D->Down) or is there a way back to Kilpacker from Wilson? I doesn't appear that there is a way down Wilson to Kilpacker on the overview map.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I did this but switched day 1 and 2. Wanted to do the traverse fresh.
Day 1. Slept at Kilpacker TH, El Diente to Mt. Wilson traverse, drive to Silver Pick and sleep along road to TH
Day 2. Wilson Peak from Silver Pick.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Kevo wrote:

Thanks!

Does that require backtracking back on the traverse (El D->Wilson->El D->Down) or is there a way back to Kilpacker from Wilson? I doesn't appear that there is a way down Wilson to Kilpacker on the overview map.
No backtracking over the traverse necessary. I climbed the summit block crux on Mt Wilson, went over the summit and went down the gully immediately after the summit. Wasn't horribly loose for Wilson's standards.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Here's what I did last summer:

Day 1 - Backpack over Rock of Ages saddle; left our backpacks in the Tiltin' Hilton; climbed Wilson Peak and Gladstone Peak; then camped in Navajo Basin.
Day 2 - Climbed El Diente via the North Buttress and traversed to Mt. Wilson.
Day 3 - Slept in and then packed out.

The North Buttress was very direct and lots of fun, and the traverse was fun too and much easier than expected.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I do believe the OP was avoiding the north side of El Diente... call me flippant, but let's discuss his wants here.

You certainly don't have to actually traverse to get both peaks - just a whole lot of downclimbing the talus, and then upclimbing what I felt was the worst talus in the basin - to gain the saddle west of Mt. Wilson. It's a lot, a lot, and a lot, of talus... broken up by some pretty cool waterfalls.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus