Lindsey's North Face Vs. Sawtooth

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Lindsey's North Face Vs. Sawtooth

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Nobody should ever do Sawtooth via Bierstadt standard route. Tour D' Abyss all day long. No conga line, no willows. Winning.
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Nobody should ever do Sawtooth via Bierstadt standard route. Tour D' Abyss all day long. No conga line, no willows. Winning.
This. All of this. The east ridge of Bierstadt was tons of fun too!
GEDV0015 (169x300).jpg
GEDV0015 (169x300).jpg (305.2 KiB) Viewed 153 times
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Max Moorman »

MountainSlayer wrote: +1

Although I did not take the high-route, I would agree that the lower path is risky. And I actually came to it and found it covered in ice, which I was not expecting. To this day I do not know how I made it without taking the express elevator to SPLAT. I will be doing the Tour d'Abyss with my wife, in the next week or two, and plan on taking the high-route when getting to the Evans-side of the Sawtooth.

In regards to Lindsey's North Face and that gulley - blah! When I go back with my wife, I am surely going to try the NW Ridge.
Thanks! I'm with you on Lindsey's North Face and gulley. That was rather nasty and stressful. The lower route on the Evans side of the Sawtooth Ridge looked quite tame in comparison.
polar wrote: My rule of thumb for picking the path of least resistance is solid rock over loose scree, even when the rock route is slightly harder. Rock is more predictable (assume rock is solid) than scree, so you have more control of your movements.

Also, have you considered Tour d’Abyss instead of the standard Bierstadt route? Tour d’Abyss also give you the summit of Bierstadt with a higher fun factor.
Thanks! I did consider it but I don't do well with level 4 exposure. I can't seem to stand at the edge of a cliff without experiencing an overwhelming desire to back away and sit down. At the moment I can handle some class 3 moves, but I think sustained class 3 climbing is still a bit much for me. I need some training in this area to increase my comfort level.
Trotter wrote: +1

just did the standard sawtooth this week, the standard way back to gnuealla pass SUCKS. mud and willows and water for 3 miles.

I did post a trip report about the sawtooth too if you want more info
Thanks! You are not kidding about the mud and willows. I can vouch for it being especially nasty when it is pouring rain. I lost count of the number of times I sunk knee-deep in mud. I've never been so thoroughly soaked in my life. At least my poncho helped me avoid repeated facial lashings from the willow branches.
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Nobody should ever do Sawtooth via Bierstadt standard route. Tour D' Abyss all day long. No conga line, no willows. Winning.
Starting at 4:30am on a Friday rendered the conga line non-existent, thankfully, but my goodness do I wish I'd known about this willows bypass route: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
TakeMeToYourSummit wrote: This. All of this. The east ridge of Bierstadt was tons of fun too!
GEDV0015 (169x300).jpg
Hopefully some day. Got to increase my climbing skills and find a way to decrease my fear of exposure beyond level 3. Traversing the Sawtooth Ridge? No problem at all. Standing on top of The Sawtooth or Iron Nipple? Major case of the heebie jeebies.