east la plata ?'s

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

east la plata ?'s

Post by larkinrx2 »

So east la plata.

just do the ridge or is the down climb from the summit a viable option? cant find much info on doing a downclimb to reach this and am curious how the class three is for this section, loose horrible rock? how much of an upclimb off the ridge is the point?
thanks
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Mountain Ninja
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (12)

Re: east la plata ?'s

Post by Mountain Ninja »

East La Plata from La Plata's summit is fun, short, and not too sketchy at all, in my opinion. If you're comfy on class 3, I think you'll enjoy it.
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Showing off my passion for Karate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

It's generally not bad. There's one spot on the way to ELP from La Plata where you have to downclimb a brief 4th class section, which I think had a few loose bits. Other than that, nothing worse than most any class 3 route on a 14er. The last bit up to ELP from the saddle is easier than it looks.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

any close up pics of this part of the root? i assume most doing the ridge would have the camera away by then to just hit the true summit
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
Mountain Ninja
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Mountain Ninja »

Here ya go. Hope these help!

A little pain never hurt anyone.

Showing off my passion for Karate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE