Uncompahgre from Matterhorn Creek

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tylermacguire
14ers: 29  2  1 
13ers: 12 5
Trip Reports (0)

Uncompahgre from Matterhorn Creek

Post by tylermacguire »

Do any of you know the round trip mileage and elevation gain for Uncompahgre from Matterhorn Creek? I'm looking for a contingency plan if our vehicle struggles with the Nellie Creek Road. Thanks!

Tyler
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Uncompahgre from Matterhorn Creek

Post by Stevo »

tylermacguire wrote:Do any of you know the round trip mileage and elevation gain for Uncompahgre from Matterhorn Creek? I'm looking for a contingency plan if our vehicle struggles with the Nellie Creek Road. Thanks!

Tyler
I just checked my Garmin file from when I did it last year and it shows 6.7 miles to the top of Unc from Matterhorn Creek TH (obviously double it to get 13.4). I also did Wetterhorn so I can't tell you the exact elevation but expect around 4K.

The section of trail between the Wetterhorn and Unc standard trails is stunning!
tylermacguire
14ers: 29  2  1 
13ers: 12 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tylermacguire »

Awesome, thanks Stevo!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I'll just +1 what Stevo said, the meadows between the two provide some of the best scenery available on 14ers. Three years later, this route is still among my favorites.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
DanielL
14ers: 58  11  9 
13ers: 43 1 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by DanielL »

I'll ditto what the others said - sure, it's longer, but it provides more solitude and some amazing views. I would definitely do it again, especially over having to hike up Nellie Creek road.
MitchellS
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by MitchellS »

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone read your mind and made a trip report!
mattb528
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mattb528 »

I just did this route from Matterhorn Creek a few weeks ago, but unfortunately I wasn't tracking my distance and elevation. Roach's book says 15.5 miles and 4905 feet of elevation gain from the 2wd Matterhorn Creek TH. For only Uncompahgre, it's 16.0 miles and 5009 feet of elevation gain from the 2wd Nellie Creek TH. Add on another couple miles and at least 1000 feet of gain to that if you also plan on Wetterhorn. From the 2wd TH's, the stats are pretty similar. I'd recommend starting from Matterhorn Creek just to save your car the trouble. The basin between the two peaks is also beautiful. This route rocks, enjoy it!
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

Stevo wrote:
tylermacguire wrote:Do any of you know the round trip mileage and elevation gain for Uncompahgre from Matterhorn Creek? I'm looking for a contingency plan if our vehicle struggles with the Nellie Creek Road. Thanks!

Tyler
I just checked my Garmin file from when I did it last year and it shows 6.7 miles to the top of Unc from Matterhorn Creek TH (obviously double it to get 13.4). I also did Wetterhorn so I can't tell you the exact elevation but expect around 4K.

The section of trail between the Wetterhorn and Unc standard trails is stunning!
Any chance you uploaded your track to connect or another site so I can view it?
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
Stevo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

Chad- I just sent you a PM with the links.
Cav33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cav33 »

Stevo wrote:
Chad- I just sent you a PM with the links.
Would it be possible for me to get the link to the track for Matterhorn TH to UNC?
Cavanaugh33@hotmail.com

Thanks
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Cav33 wrote: Would it be possible for me to get the link to the track for Matterhorn TH to UNC?
Cavanaugh33@hotmail.com

Thanks
Try the GPX in this trip report: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=15781 The report goes to wet/unc, but you can just follow the rout to unc if that's your only objective. If you don't like this one, there are a number of other reports on this site with GPX routes that hit unk from Matterhorn Creek. Just search for trip reports with GPX reports and look for ones that summit both Wetterhorn and Unc, then just follow the tracks to Unc.

I did the combo last year. The route is very easy to follow. Just know you have to need to take the stock trail toward Unc at the trail junction. The views of Unc are unbelievable!
Stevo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

I just emailed it to you.

And yes, the views of Unc are incredible!