Belford - Oxford - Missouri in one day

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainMetaphor
14ers: 29 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Belford - Oxford - Missouri in one day

Post by MountainMetaphor »

I was thinking of doing Belford-Oxford one day this week and following it up the next day with Missouri. A friend told me that a long time ago he did all three in one day. He can't remember the routes he took. I am surprised there is no info on the "peaks" and "routes" pages on the best path through all three. Does anyone have any good suggestions? It looks like there is a ridge all the way from Oxford to Missouri; how passable is that? It would be ideal not to have to retrace steps too much and to be able to follow a loop. Not sure what the "standard" route is for doing all three. Any help/ideas are appreciated!
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Belford - Oxford - Missouri in one day

Post by Derek »

I did the "three-fer" a few years back. I listed some pro's-con's of different ways to do it in a TR:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8985

Pretty much, the best/easiest way I figured was Belford standard, to Oxford, back to Belford, Eklhead trail to the Pass, descend to the main Missouri trail, then Missouri. This was adding a bit of mileage in exchange for a bit less elevation...and no off trail issues. I've heard some like to go up to Missouri straight from the pass instead of descending to the standard trail.

Big day, but not horribly bad.
peterkfes
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peterkfes »

I did the three last Labor Day from Missouri Gulch trai lhead. Up Belford first, over to Oxford, skirted back around Belford's south shoulder down to Elk Head Pass, into the basin and up Missouri, then back down and out. It was a long day and the most elevation gain I've had but very satisfying. Back down the basin and out to the trail head was slow, grueling, and not so much fun but at least it was down hill. Did Holy Cross earlier that week and coming back out over the pass was more of a mind game. Good luck, get an early start, and enjoy that beautiful basin!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I did the circuit Derek and Peter describe about 15 years ago. It was a big day, 12 hours or so, at the time about what it took me to do the Barr Trail round-trip.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
esskay1000
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esskay1000 »

I just did it a week and a half ago. Since I really wanted to make sure I got Belf/Ox I chose to do them first and let Mother Nature and my legs tell me if I was going to do Missouri. I got a super-early start on Belf/Ox and reached the summit of Oxford by sunrise. Then on the way back to Belford I felt great and the weather looked clear so I headed down to Elkhead Pass and started up the East/South side of Missouri. It's an imposing route, and if you get off route you quickly get into dangerous Class 5 and above. You basically have to wind yourself slowly around the SE side (then toward the actual south side) of Missouri as you go, but if you keep the route it's not too bad.

I then descended Missouri by the standard route to the Missouri Gulch trailhead. My total time was about 9.5 hours and it was about 6000+ feet of elevation gain.
“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!” - Dr. Seuss
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

When I did it, I did Missouri first then went over elkhead pass and tagged oxford. On the way back I hit belford. Might not have been the best way, but it worked for me
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
MountainMetaphor
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainMetaphor »

Derek wrote:I did the "three-fer" a few years back. I listed some pro's-con's of different ways to do it in a TR:

Pretty much, the best/easiest way I figured was Belford standard, to Oxford, back to Belford, Eklhead trail to the Pass, descend to the main Missouri trail, then Missouri. This was adding a bit of mileage in exchange for a bit less elevation...and no off trail issues. I've heard some like to go up to Missouri straight from the pass instead of descending to the standard trail.

It seems like most everyone who does the three-fer chooses this route; it seems like the most efficient and safest (???). Great trip report and maps, by the way. So...is there clear signage for the Elkhead Pass trail? I'll be doing this solo, as well. Is there a comprehensive map that shows these routes?

Also, how fast a hiker are you? I just did Huron at a little over 2 hours up, and a little over an hour down. I'm thinking if I hope to summit all three peaks I should start before 4 a.m., but maybe I'll be fine if I start closer to 5 a.m. like you did?
peterkfes
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peterkfes »

I may very well be the gray beard in this discussion. And being from the Boston area...speed is no longer in my vocabulary. That said friends, I hit the trail at 1:30 a.m. Labor Day and got back at 6:00 p.m. for a sixteen plus hour adventure. Call it a reverse speed record! I figured it's Labor Day, so why not? Time, distance, and elevation gain put this climb up near Longs Keyhole for me, incredible in its own daunting way.

Have fun and be safe.
esskay1000
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esskay1000 »

MountainMetaphor wrote:
Derek wrote:I did the "three-fer" a few years back. I listed some pro's-con's of different ways to do it in a TR:

It seems like most everyone who does the three-fer chooses this route; it seems like the most efficient and safest (???). Great trip report and maps, by the way. So...is there clear signage for the Elkhead Pass trail? I'll be doing this solo, as well. Is there a comprehensive map that shows these routes?

Also, how fast a hiker are you? I just did Huron at a little over 2 hours up, and a little over an hour down. I'm thinking if I hope to summit all three peaks I should start before 4 a.m., but maybe I'll be fine if I start closer to 5 a.m. like you did?
The trail to Elkhead Pass from Belford is very easy to see - I don't think it's marked but you really can't miss it. When you come back towards Belfrod from Oxford just remember that you don't have to re-summit Belford. You come close to the summit, but start looking for the Elkhead Trail on the southern slope of the summit pitch to Belford, it's hard to miss.

As for doing Missouri from Elkhead - yes, the easiest and safest route is to descend from Elkhead to the main Missouri Trail, but this adds quite a bit of distance and also elevation. You can do Missouri right from Elkhead as I mentioned but it's a much tougher route w/scrambling and route-finding. If you've done anything like Sawtooth or some of the other harder climbs it's similar, if not a little easier.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

MountainMetaphor wrote:

If you get down to detail in maps, it isn't the shortest or the least elevation route at all, but I've learned over and over (and over) again that sometimes the shortest isnt always the quickest. You can head up Missouri straight from Elkhead Pass (as noted above) however I have heard a couple horror stories of doing that from some people. I think even Roach mentions it in his book? (I have not done it though.)

My other option I remember I had left open that day (and have heard people have good success with) is cutting from Elkhead Pass to the missouri side of the Iowa/Missouri saddle. Its a sidehill walk and talusy in spots, but it puts you on the ridge to Missouri that you can head straight north to the summit. Only downsides : You're outside of your ascent basin, so no matter how tired you get you WILL have to reascend to get back to the TH. Also, some people like trails, and this would be off trail.

Regarding my speed, judging when I hike with others I'm probably about average. However when I'm solo I dont really stop for breaks, so it makes my final RT times seem faster than I really am. But the nice thing about hiking on trails (and 14ers in general) is that the routes are obvious enough you can start as early as you want and just night hike and not worry about rushing.
esskay1000
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esskay1000 »

Derek wrote:
MountainMetaphor wrote:

If you get down to detail in maps, it isn't the shortest or the least elevation route at all, but I've learned over and over (and over) again that sometimes the shortest isnt always the quickest. You can head up Missouri straight from Elkhead Pass (as noted above) however I have heard a couple horror stories of doing that from some people. I think even Roach mentions it in his book? (I have not done it though.)

My other option I remember I had left open that day (and have heard people have good success with) is cutting from Elkhead Pass to the missouri side of the Iowa/Missouri saddle. Its a sidehill walk and talusy in spots, but it puts you on the ridge to Missouri that you can head straight north to the summit. Only downsides : You're outside of your ascent basin, so no matter how tired you get you WILL have to reascend to get back to the TH. Also, some people like trails, and this would be off trail.

Regarding my speed, judging when I hike with others I'm probably about average. However when I'm solo I dont really stop for breaks, so it makes my final RT times seem faster than I really am. But the nice thing about hiking on trails (and 14ers in general) is that the routes are obvious enough you can start as early as you want and just night hike and not worry about rushing.

As Derek mentions you can cut to the Iowa/Missouri side (downslope) from the saddle and try to ascend Missouri from the south side. I examined it for a while from a perch on the route that I did and it looked more than slightly talusy. Lots of scree and small rocks. If you don't mind that kind of stuff that might be your best option but I hate off-trail small loose scree. It looked like one of those slopes where you might go rock-skiing but it's definitely do-able
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rambler »

I'm going to be taking a look at the 'skirting around to the Iowa/MO saddle' route in about 2 weeks. I'm going to be coming from the Clohsey lake side (MO west ridge route) and camping at the lake. Depending on time and weather I may try to skirt around to Elkhead Pass and see if I can get Bel/Ox while I'm there. Makes for a long day since I have to come back the same way but might at least be able to get some documentation on avoiding the s**t show East ridge. I've heard/read that there is a route that keeps you below the cliffs and above the scree in that section if you can find the right path. Guess we'll see