Bilk Basin conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Bilk Basin conditions?

Post by pak »

Has anyone been in Bilk Basin in the past week or so? I am wondering about the snow conditions from the upper Bilk Basin to Gladstone's North Ridge. Any info would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!
Phil
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Re: Bilk Basin conditions?

Post by dillonsarnelli »

pak wrote:Has anyone been in Bilk Basin in the past week or so? I am wondering about the snow conditions from the upper Bilk Basin to Gladstone's North Ridge. Any info would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!
Phil - We went up Bilk on the 4th. No snow until the lake in the upper basin and most can be avoided until the last push towards the saddle. We used crampons for a few hundred feet to reach the ridge, microspikes would have been fine. The ridgeline is snowfree. If you want any more pics let me know!
Gladstone 2.jpg
Gladstone 2.jpg (110.8 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

Thanks Dillon! This is exactly what I needed to know. Did you enter lower BB from Sunshine Mesa or Cross Mountain?
Phil
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

pak wrote:Thanks Dillon! This is exactly what I needed to know. Did you enter lower BB from Sunshine Mesa or Cross Mountain?
No problem! We came in from Sunshine.
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO