Huron - Lulu Gulch Route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Huron - Lulu Gulch Route

Post by glenmiz »

I'm planning on climbing via this route Sunday. From Missouri today, I could see quite a bit of snow along the n/s ridge to Brown's Peak. Has anyone been up this route recently that can update conditions? I'm not prepared for long snow traverse. Thanks.
Aim high to end high
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Huron - Lulu Gulch Route

Post by johnt »

I'm doing Lulu tomorrow (Mon.) to try to get everything on the ridge north of Huron. Did you do it today, and how was it?
skypilot
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skypilot »

I just completed the circuit on Saturday: Huron Peak to Browns Peak to Middle Mountain and down the mine road off Middle Mountain's NW Ridge. Snow is not a problem. What is there is easily avoided. I did not have time to make it out to Cross Mountain, but that stretch looked fine as well.
glenmiz
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Yes. All great. Snow limited to east side of ridge.
Aim high to end high
waterlogged31
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waterlogged31 »

June 26, I came up from Rockdale, Cloyses lake TH. Snow was not a factor I summit Browns and lost trail or trail proved to be out of my comfort zone. I am posting because I am still thinking it through. Pulling all my maps out, purchasing new literature, and keep playing the hike over and over in my head. I made the right decision. But everything i am finding says this rout is a "Class 1 or 2". One Factor I am not sure on is when I reached Lois Lake a Outward bound group was camping there, and the "leader" seemed to be confused about my route without ropes, crampons, and ice axe. I pulled my maps out and showed him that this route is considered intermediate. Then he says "oh ya I went up there yesterday and set up karns leading up to Huron." His karns lead me strait up Browns, then disappeared. I Got to the peak right before Huron, it was a complete rock cliff between the two peaks. I then back track to Browns and looked at the north face and decided to call it. Did i miss something?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

waterlogged31 wrote:June 26, I came up from Rockdale, Cloyses lake TH. Snow was not a factor I summit Browns and lost trail or trail proved to be out of my comfort zone. I am posting because I am still thinking it through. Pulling all my maps out, purchasing new literature, and keep playing the hike over and over in my head. I made the right decision. But everything i am finding says this rout is a "Class 1 or 2". One Factor I am not sure on is when I reached Lois Lake a Outward bound group was camping there, and the "leader" seemed to be confused about my route without ropes, crampons, and ice axe. I pulled my maps out and showed him that this route is considered intermediate. Then he says "oh ya I went up there yesterday and set up karns leading up to Huron." His karns lead me strait up Browns, then disappeared. I Got to the peak right before Huron, it was a complete rock cliff between the two peaks. I then back track to Browns and looked at the north face and decided to call it. Did i miss something?
If you were at Lois Lake, you were off route for a climb of the east face of Huron/Browns. There are no cliff faces between Browns and Huron. It sounds like you were on the east ridge of PT 13,518' when you encountered the rock cliff between the two peaks (PT13,518' and PT 12,936'?). I think you climbed PT 12,936', not Browns Peak. Roach describes the east face route in the basin North of PT 12,936' (you were south of there?).

btw, it's cairn.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"