The monsoon...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The monsoon...

Post by highpilgrim »

DArcyS wrote:P.S. HighPilgrim . . . your Cards may pull this one off yet . . . that NL Central is such a soft division.

Yup. The 2011 Cardinals were also in a soft division, where they finished second. And then went on in the playoffs to beat the favored Phillies and the favored Brewers. And of course the favored Rangers in the World Series.

September and October is Cardinals baseball. The rest is just a warm-up. :mrgreen:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

jdorje wrote:I've looked at weather for various peaks in south and central Colorado. Yeah, there is more precipitation forecast for later in the week. But there is also 3-4 days of 0% rain chance, which should not be possible during monsoon conditions.
Funny thing about forecasts...

From a nice backpacking report down in the Gunnison area:
"The forecasters had called for a 0% chance of precipitation. They couldn’t have been more wrong."

http://snip.ly/RJGH#http://14erskiers.c ... -aug-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

The monsoon returns tomorrow and some of the forecasts are showing heavy precip through this weekend into Monday. Be prepared! SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Hmmmm..... sounds like the Imogene Pass Run could be a much different experience than the last couple of years.
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

climbinfool wrote:Hmmmm..... sounds like the Imogene Pass Run could be a much different experience than the last couple of years.
It's been quite a few years, but the first time I ran the Imogene Pass Run, I think it rained 16 out of the 17 miles. Not a good time to find out my waterproof shell didn't work. ](*,) Closest I've ever been to hypothermia. I can remember being anxious to get back to Ouray to warm up in the hot springs. No sooner did I dip my foot in the water, when a huge bolt of lightening closed the pool. Wasn't exactly a stellar year for the race. :lol: But yes, I came back the following year.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Wow - sounds like a rough one! Hopefully this year goes better than THAT, haha! :0)
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

mtgirl wrote:
climbinfool wrote:Hmmmm..... sounds like the Imogene Pass Run could be a much different experience than the last couple of years.
It's been quite a few years, but the first time I ran the Imogene Pass Run, I think it rained 16 out of the 17 miles. Not a good time to find out my waterproof shell didn't work. ](*,) Closest I've ever been to hypothermia. I can remember being anxious to get back to Ouray to warm up in the hot springs. No sooner did I dip my foot in the water, when a huge bolt of lightening closed the pool. Wasn't exactly a stellar year for the race. :lol: But yes, I came back the following year.
One of my friends didn't even get to do the entire course the year he did it. They ended up having to do an up-and-back instead of the pass that year. Strangely, he came back the following year too.
San Juan Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Moisture coming, be prepared. SJ Ron :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (276.63 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Parts of Arizona hit with copious rainfall from Norbert yesterday. Forecasters were warning of this moist incursion since last Wednesday the 3rd.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Big night in the Valley of the Sun last night and early A.M. - 75-year rain event at PHX from Norbert. Leaving the area now and headed your way, SW Colorado.

SJ Ron or others - rain updates in your area?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I spent a long weekend in Comanche Peak Wilderness and at Mirror Lake in RMNP. Definitely felt monsoonal due to a low that came through and gave us rain on Thursday and Friday nights. Friday evening at Mirror Lake (11,700) gave us some hail and then about 2 hours of rain. Snow/ice on the west slope of Comanche Peak down to about 12k. Saturday morning saw ice on the fly and hoar in that awesome meadow at Koenig camp.
please rotate your device
San Juan Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Mark A Steiner wrote:Big night in the Valley of the Sun last night and early A.M. - 75-year rain event at PHX from Norbert. Leaving the area now and headed your way, SW Colorado.

SJ Ron or others - rain updates in your area?
So far, sprinkles and light showers only. Based on the current radar, I am guessing tomorrow might be a very big precip day as the large plume of moisture from AZ and NV moves north and east. SJ Ron :)