Tab/Shavano/Panic possible?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jgradygroove
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Tab/Shavano/Panic possible?

Post by jgradygroove »

hey guys,

I'm planning on hiking Tab/Shavano with a group this Sunday. We plan to start our ascent at 5:30am. Is it possible to get up and down both peaks, TH to TH, by, say, 12:30p, if we're going at a medium-to-moderate pace? I'm no Andrew Hamilton by any means, but I think i could do these two fairly quickly. Reason i'm asking is i have to get to Red Rocks by 330p for a concert. Maps say it's about a 3hr drive from TH to RR.

Any insight would be awesome and much appreciated! Thank you!
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tab/Shavano/Panic possible?

Post by ezabielski »

Just look at the Climb Times page for Shav/Tab. Most reported times are 6-7 hours.
marcstrawser wrote:I did it in 3:45 hours RT. I climb quickly though (tent to tent NW Face LB, LB-Blanca took 5:40).
He asked for a medium-moderate time, not a self-admitted fast time...
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

cory1223oh
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cory1223oh »

5,600 ft. is no joke and you'll likely have to be climbing close to 1,500 ft./hour including breaks to be able to make it in time. I know I would enjoy it more if I didn't feel rushed. You could always start an hour earlier and give yourself more breathing room.
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

We did Shav/Tab/Ant in 2009 and recorded 17 miles with a total of 8,170' of elevation gain over 16 hours with rest breaks. Most people I've guided and hiked with move at about 1 mi./hr up and 2-3 mi./hr down. Having said that and presuming your speed here I think your start time is fine. Just in case you weren't aware, your view of building storms is obscured until you gain the final shoulder above treeline on Shavano. The run over to Tab is uneventfull and similar Class2, but different, to Torreys and a bit looser scree climbing rather than periods of compact dirt. Again nothing crazy though. If you do Shav and the weather holds grab Tab. Have fun!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

marcstrawser wrote:I did it in 3:45 hours RT. I climb quickly though (tent to tent NW Face LB, LB-Blanca took 5:40).
Funny he asked about Shav. & Tab. What does LB-Blanca have to do with Shav. & Tab. other than you being extremely humble about your speed?

Do you hike alone most of time?
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

ezabielski wrote:Just look at the Climb Times page for Shav/Tab. Most reported times are 6-7 hours.
I think that may even be unrealistic for average hikers. I would have to think that the people who actually post their times, are doing so because they are proud of them, therefore these times may be a little faster than average. In his 14ers book, Gerry Roach list the Shav/Tab combo as 292 RPs (Roach Points) ... which (at 25 RPs per hour for average people) comes out to a little over 11 hours. I've found his formula to be fairly accurate, and for me it does seem to account for usual short rest stops and a summit break, but nothing excessive.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I drank a whole quart of the blue St. Ides malt liquor in 22 seconds once, of course I spent the rest of the night passed in my buddies front yard, covered in blue vomit. Oh to be young again.

Anyways, yeah you can totally do Mt. Sanitas in two hours.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Max Moorman
14ers: 26 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Max Moorman »

Well, according to the climb times page roughly 16 of 53 made the round trip in 7 hours or less. I say roughly because they don't all list the same mileage, and a few appear to have listed days instead of hours. So, assuming adequate sample size, if you're in the top 30-ish percent in terms of climbing speed among the users here who post climb times, then yes, you could probably pull it off.

I'm planning the same climb on Saturday, but I'm really slow so I'll be quite happy if I can do it in under 10 hours. :)

Hunter's stats makes sense to me. I tend to move about 0.9mph going up and 1.8mph going down, and almost everyone out there passes me.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

jgradygroove wrote:hey guys,

I'm planning on hiking Tab/Shavano with a group this Sunday. We plan to start our ascent at 5:30am. Is it possible to get up and down both peaks, TH to TH, by, say, 12:30p, if we're going at a medium-to-moderate pace? I'm no Andrew Hamilton by any means, but I think i could do these two fairly quickly. Reason i'm asking is i have to get to Red Rocks by 330p for a concert. Maps say it's about a 3hr drive from TH to RR.

Any insight would be awesome and much appreciated! Thank you!
Why not just start at 4AM to make sure you make it. If I recall it took me between 3 and 3.5 hrs from the th to shav, and at least 1-1.5hrs to get from shav to tab to shav and then another 2.5 to 3hrs to get back to trailhead. I was solo which is generally faster than a group, so I'd start earlier if I were you...
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

An average pace is 1000' an hour up, 1500 down. Shavano is 4600' so that would be 7.5 hours round trip for that peak alone; probably 9.5 with Tab.

Whether your pace is actually average I don't know. The kind of people who track their times on the times page are clearly faster than average, as about 50% of people are. A 7 hour round trip is not all that much faster than average.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I did it with my wife and two high-school age kids in 2005. It took us 10 hours. We're not speedy, but not slow either.

IMO the "times" lists are bragfests, and don't reflect the reality of the typical hiker.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump