Evans and Bierstadt via the Sawtooth Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JeremiahG
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Evans and Bierstadt via the Sawtooth Ridge

Post by JeremiahG »

We made it back. Tour d abyss is successfully finished. Around a nine hour day. My legs felt like lead weights with no spring from summit of bierstadt
Onwards. It sucked, but got it finished. Felt good to push through. Forced me to climb slower than I ever had too. Guessing altitude had a part to play.
Cold in spots with wind and it snowed a bit. Really tired now but feel pretty good.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

I went back Saturday and the gully was completely iced over, snow every where, and looked like the east ridge was in really bad shape for the exposed scrambling I dealt with the weekend prior. Really bummed since it was completely dry about 10 days ago.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Also the winds were insane. Don't know how to really guess wind speeds very well, but they were waaaayyy too strong for that route I felt.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
JeremiahG
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremiahG »

Wow. Glad we got it when the getting was good.
DoctorBreaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Yeah no kidding lol. I'll be going back soon lol. It'll always be there tomorrow is the way I see it.

-Anatoli Boukreev

bbass11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (6)

Post by bbass11 »

What are the snow/ice conditions like on the sawtooth route right now? Has anyone climbed it in the last couple days?
Dobbins
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dobbins »

I climbed Bierstadt on June 29th with hopes of continuing onto Mount Evans via the Sawtooth, It was not passable without full ice gear. I can't imagine it is quite yet, but it has been quite warm recently.
amazinggrace1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by amazinggrace1 »

Hi -
I made it across June 29 without any extra gear and think a couple of others made the traverse as well. Crossed one snow patch, which may be gone by now. Would not have had to do that if I had stayed high coming off Bierstadt.
Hope that helps.
Oh and BTW - that little loop through the willows after Evans is quite the adventure - ended up re-climbing half of Bierstadt just to get out of the muck :shock:
John 3:30
kumo1341
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 34 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kumo1341 »

Did Tour de Abyss on 7/4. There was a snow field all the way down to the lowest notch on the connective ridge, we crossed the top of the snow field and stayed on the ridge. Also see people continue down the slope and cross it at the low point.