Princeton conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Corey17
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (2)

Princeton conditions

Post by Corey17 »

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing Mt. Princeton on Saturday, 6/14, via the standard route and was wondering if anyone has any idea as to the conditions on that mountain. I'm hoping to need nothing more than some microspikes for traction, and I can certainly deal with some snow. I just am hoping to have some idea before I get out there! Thanks for any help.

Also, regarding the road, I drive a 2010 Civic with 6.1' of clearance. I'm fine with it getting a few bumps and bruises along the way, and we've taken that thing to the upper S. Elbert TH, the Grays/Torreys TH, and the lower Yankee Boy Basin TH. I know the Mt. Princeton road is dry, TH update from 5-10 days ago says that much. I am hoping to drive up to the radio towers with a Civic, and I hear that the road is tricky to turn around along if I get a little too much for the Civic. Has anyone here been able to get a passenger car up to the radio towers?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide!
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Princeton conditions

Post by Nelson »

That is a very nasty road.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Both times I've climbed it its needed high clearance in the first mile. My civic could not do it.
You either double the walk mileage adding the forest part or get a hitchhike.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

I'm not sure I would recommend that road for a passenger car, but it has been done.

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?st ... =7&t=31981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

I remember that thread. One of my favorites of all time.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I also own a Civic (manual transmission) and can attest that, at least last Fall, it was possible to make it to the radio towers. I've taken my car to worse places than that TH. The manual transmission is key to success. That said, I regretted the choice. It is only 1.5 h stroll up to the TH from the good 2wd parking lot and less than an hour to walk back down. The additional exercise is beneficial for the character.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

The road could be in poor condition right now----hard to predict. I have seen a couple of 2WDs up there in the past. One had parts hanging off. The other had a petrified looking driver. There is maybe two turnaround spots for a civic between the bottom and radio towers. If you are unsure the courteous thing to do is to leave it at the bottom and not risk trapping other vehicles above or below you.

Dave
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

I'm going to give princeton a try on saturday and probably will have room in my tacoma...aiming to be at the lower trailhead about 515-530. You are welcome to hop in with us and spare your car the abuse.
Vincit Qui Patitur
duncanmil
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by duncanmil »

Hi. I climbed Princeton last Saturday, June 7. Other than a few hundred yards of snow, the route was clear all the way up to the top. Because the snow area is not a severe slope, everyone was able to get past without any trouble at all and without special equipment. Actually, it was a nice relief from the sharp rocks you are on for most of the climb past the road. I have a civic and I would not want to put it on that road. I really think there are some places it would not make it past the humps and dips. In my jeep I had it in low low gear. Of course, that was five days ago. I have no idea how the conditions are now. Of my 19 peaks climbed so far, this was my least enjoyable because of the rocks, but the most spectacular from the top. They views are worth it.
Corey17
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Corey17 »

Thanks guys for the awesome replys guys, it helps a lot. There will certainly be no taking the Civic up the Mt. Princeton road, the lack of bailout points really seals the deal, the last thing I want to do is to ruin another group's day. My 14ers partner and I are discussing if we want to walk the road, or take SolarAlex's immensely generous offer, as thats already the time frame we were planning on being down there. The conditions sound ideal, and we'll definitely be out there and looking forward to some ideal-looking weather. Thanks again guys for the updates!

SolarAlex, I'll send you a PM as to the prosepcts of a carpool. We hugely appreciate your offer, and look forward to seeing you somewhere on the mountain this weekend. Hope you have a great climb!