Greys and Torreys Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jmbiller
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 114 11
Trip Reports (0)

Greys and Torreys Conditions?

Post by Jmbiller »

Friend wants to go up and hike Greys and Torreys this Saturday, i said i would go with him, just seeing if anyone has been up there and what condition the standard trail is in.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Greys and Torreys Conditions?

Post by thebeave7 »

Check the Conditions reports
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... peakparm=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatu ... eakparm=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maurer_kg »

I went up dead dog June 11, and here's what we saw …

Road up is fine … a few patches of snow, but nothing a car with reasonable clearance can't handle. If your vehicle can make if up the rest of the road, I doubt the remaining snow will be a problem.

The toughest part of the approach was the willows (there's a mile or so of them at the beginning of the trail). This section was still snowed over in patches, and the trail was somewhat tough to follow (even with full daylight on the way down). As we'd been there before, we decided to just make our way up the valley, even if it was off trail, and that worked fine. Plan a little extra time for bushwhacking, however.

Eventually you'll pass the willows and pop out in an open area, where the route becomes pretty obvious.

From a distance, the standard hike up looks obvious and tramped down. I might bring some traction footwear, as all that travel tends to make it icy in places.
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Brimstone10 »

I went up dead dog yesterday and it was pretty much exactly like Maurer above explained it. My girlfriend split off from me and my buddy at the base of dead dog and she went up Grays. She had yak trax but was really wishing she had micro spikes. I'd recommend microspikes as there is still snow up high and it could be frozen depending on temps. It was when we were there.
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

Still snow on the standard trail but it's melting rapidly creating very wet conditions. Much more than last year at thsi time. My trail runners were completely soaked from the trail. As Brimstone said, traction would be good. I would also still carry an axe.

The road is dry all the way to the summer trailhead

This picture of the two was taken last night from about 12K right at the sign.
Torreys Peak 20140615.jpg
Torreys Peak 20140615.jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 206 times