technical routes with low avy danger

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
happymtnclimber
Trip Reports (0)

technical routes with low avy danger

Post by happymtnclimber »

Hello all,

I have some friends coming in who do a lot of mixed climbing and we are looking for some good class 3/4/5 routes to cimb. We have a full trad rack and ice protection, ropes, winter gear, ect and experience in the Cascades and AK.

I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions of good routes given current avy conditions. We have looked at the East Ridge of Bancroft, Cables route on Longs, and a few other less challenging options.

Any and all advice is welcome, and theyll be here Dec 28- Jan 10 so PM me if youre interested in joining, the more the merrier.

Cheers
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: technical routes with low avy danger

Post by Dave B »

Did Martha last week and it was pretty fun. M2ish with a nice WI2+ step and incredible views of the Diamond from the top. Flying Dutchman also looked in but I would imagine it as a snow slog right now. Alexanders Chimney still looked in as well, but at WI4 M4 it might be a bit spicy. The only real avy danger getting to these routes is the slope above Peacock Pool, but it was wind blasted pencil-knife hard slab when we did it.

The snow slope before the first pitch on Dream Weaver has been known to slide, but it looked like the pitches were, for the most part, filled in pretty well. Could be a pretty fun route as I imagine it's got ice in it since everything else is fatter than normal.

I went up to do All Mixed Up on Thursday but the snow slope above the last pitch looked way cross-loaded from Mills Lake so we went to Loch Vale/The Crypt instead. NW Gully on Thatchtop looked pretty sweet, but you'd probably want two ropes to rap off of v-threads instead of trying to find the walk off.

Aside from that, Loch Vale is the fattest I've ever seen it and Jewel Lake is looking pretty good to.

Good luck!
Make wilderness less accessible.