Mt. Eoulus and N. from 550?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Eoulus and N. from 550?

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

I have been driving 550 N for 5 years now and I for some reason still don't know if that is Eolus and N. Eolus to the right of Turret. Nobody I know can tell me, can anyone enlighten me? THX
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Eoulus and N. from 550?

Post by Vincopotamus »

Don't know about from 550, but this picture from the top of Purg's front side might help. The most prominent peak is Pigeon, right of it is Turret, and I believe the next two peaks to the right are N. Eolus and Eolus? I think the saddle between the two holds the catwalk. You can see that Eolus' summit ridge runs SSE, or off to the right in this picture.

This is really a job for the likes of CONative.
The only time I lower the bar is après
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Yeah those 2 on the right are the peaks in question. I haven't been back to Chi basin yet (there's just so much to do out here!!).... thx, maybe that picture will make it easier to identify. I see this almost everyday..
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

North Eolus is not a mountain.
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

nowhere above did anyone reference it as a mountain, but thanks for the input.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Oman wrote:North Eolus is not a mountain.
I used to feel that way about Conundrum, but I got over it.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Oman wrote:North Eolus is not a mountain.
True, but it has better views than Eolus and is well worth the small amount of extra effort to climb.

Dave
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Ceca n'est pas une montagne. Mais ca n'import pas.
ScreeSurfer
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 262
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ScreeSurfer »

Yes, Vincopotamus is correct, that is N. Eolus and Eolus to the right of Turret as seen from Highway 550. http://www.caltopo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a great view analysis tool that can confirm this. This is how I use it, locate Eolus and generate a viewshed analysis from the summit. All areas visible from Eolus will be shaded red (you will notice a couple of sections along 550 are shaded red, this means you can see Eolus from these sections).
Viewshed analysis from Summit of Mt Eolus
Viewshed analysis from Summit of Mt Eolus
Viewshed550.jpg (185.91 KiB) Viewed 903 times
Now, right click on the section of 550 that is shaded red and select View from here. You can zoom and pan to take a look towards Eolus. Labels of peaks will automatically be overlayed.
View from 550
View from 550
ViewFrom550.jpg (152.42 KiB) Viewed 903 times
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

ScreeSurfer wrote:Yes, Vincopotamus is correct, that is N. Eolus and Eolus to the right of Turret as seen from Highway 550. http://www.caltopo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a great view analysis tool that can confirm this. This is how I use it, locate Eolus and generate a viewshed analysis from the summit. All areas visible from Eolus will be shaded red (you will notice a couple of sections along 550 are shaded red, this means you can see Eolus from these sections).
You are a bad, bad person. :)

Between this, google earth, and youtube, I will never be productive at work again :-D

Thank you for that link, WAY cool! =D>
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

wow. I knew something like that existed out there in internetland.. THX
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

screesurfer, you just changed my life. this. website. is. awesome. thx a million