Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak web cam

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Longs Peak web cam

Postby rmd » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Does anyone know the elevation where the temperature on the Longs Peak web cam is taken? It's about as cold today as I've ever seen it.

http://coloradolivecams.com/colocam-estes5.htm

Re: Longs Peak web cam

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't know for certain, but I've always been under the impression the camera is somewhere up on/near Twin Sisters (in the odd little floating island of RMNP). I also assume it's near the top, which should put it at around 11,400'

edit: I am also assuming weather measurements are taken AT the camera's location.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby michaelgrundy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:18 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:I don't know for certain, but I've always been under the impression the camera is somewhere up on/near Twin Sisters (in the odd little floating island of RMNP). I also assume it's near the top, which should put it at around 11,400'

edit: I am also assuming weather measurements are taken AT the camera's location.

Thats a lot of assumptions....

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:24 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:I don't know for certain, but I've always been under the impression the camera is somewhere up on/near Twin Sisters (in the odd little floating island of RMNP). I also assume it's near the top, which should put it at around 11,400'

The power line in the picture makes me think it's next to Highway 7.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm

NPS website wrote:The Longs Peak Webcam has moved to the beautiful Tahosa Valley along Hwy 7.

The exquisite maps of the infamous Dr. Google claim that location to be at approximately 8800 ft.

It was -28 at 9 am in Laramie this morning, I tried hard to link that to a joke about WY meth heads but came up short...
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Dave B wrote:It was -28 at 9 am in Laramie this morning, I tried hard to link that to a joke about WY meth heads but came up short...

UW students?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby tlongpine » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Dave B wrote:
NPS website wrote:The Longs Peak Webcam has moved to the beautiful Tahosa Valley along Hwy 7.

The exquisite maps of the infamous Dr. Google claim that location to be at approximately 8800 ft.

It was -28 at 9 am in Laramie this morning, I tried hard to link that to a joke about WY meth heads but came up short...

It was so cold in Laramie that it wasn't just the meth heads shaking uncontrollably?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Jack_E » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:09 am

Beautiful webcam "picture" of Longs right now..

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 am

tlongpine wrote:It was so cold in Laramie that it wasn't just the meth heads shaking uncontrollably?

=D> :lol:

So cold the meth heads in rehab are quitting 'frozen' turkey?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Cold or not, still looks beautiful. Makes me wanna give it a go this next week. I miss Longs. :(

Postby rmd » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Thank you for your answers. I thought it might be at the camera, but it also occurred to me that it might be at the visitor center or some other place (for ease of maintenance, perhaps.)

By the way, I envy those of you who live out there. After the most miserable summer I can remember, the temperature where I live reached 78 today (not a typo.)

Postby MuchosPixels » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:03 am

Wow, very cold on wed. in RMNP

veryverycold2.jpg
veryverycold2.jpg (197.74 KiB) Viewed 504 times

Next