How's the Sawatch lookin?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: How's the Sawatch lookin?

Post by geojed »

falcon568 wrote:Has anyone seen/heard anything on snow conditions for Massive or Elbert recently? I'm guessing from earlier observations on the range that snowshoes are probably needed. CAIC has the Sawatch at "moderate" avy levels, would the East Ridge routes for both be fairly low avy risk?
From the conditions tab there is an 11/24 update http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_en ... ecnum=2789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
justiner
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

falcon568 wrote:Has anyone seen/heard anything on snow conditions for Massive or Elbert recently? I'm guessing from earlier observations on the range that snowshoes are probably needed. CAIC has the Sawatch at "moderate" avy levels, would the East Ridge routes for both be fairly low avy risk?
It's pretty dry up there, some wind loaded parts on east facing, uh... faces. Black Cloud TH would be little problem from what we saw up on Bull Hill. I'd bring some 'shoes. Lot less snow in that area that what I'm seeing in Summit County.
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by falcon568 »

Did Mt Massive Thursday/Friday. Below treeline (12,000'), deep powder snow, snowshoes a must. Saw a few avalanche-ready slopes and triggered one "whoomp" on the approach to the East Ridge. Above tree line, mix of dry rock and wind-deposited drifts of snow, some of which were quite deep.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

Anyone got any beta on the 390 road/Missouri Gulch TH? I keep checking the conditions/reports but haven't seen much. Wondering how close Henry the Camry will get me to the TH.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
activecolorado
14ers: 40 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by activecolorado »

Anyone have any recent snow updates around the Sawatch from the last few weeks? Looking to get up there next week during some time off around the holidays. Thanks for any info.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

activecolorado wrote:Anyone have any recent snow updates around the Sawatch from the last few weeks? Looking to get up there next week during some time off around the holidays. Thanks for any info.
I was on east slopes of Antero on 12/14 (Browns Cr TH to treeline). Maybe 6-18", mostly sugar w/ some crust. Had snowshoes on, but they probably aren't 100% required.
activecolorado
14ers: 40 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by activecolorado »

Yikes wrote:
I was on east slopes of Antero on 12/14 (Browns Cr TH to treeline). Maybe 6-18", mostly sugar w/ some crust. Had snowshoes on, but they probably aren't 100% required.

Awesome. Thanks for the intel, Yikes. Looking at Antero or possibly La Plata. Thanks again.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

not the best photos, but...
DSCN2640.JPG
DSCN2640.JPG (71.62 KiB) Viewed 624 times
DSCN2624.JPG
DSCN2624.JPG (47.29 KiB) Viewed 624 times
DSCN2624.JPG
DSCN2624.JPG (47.29 KiB) Viewed 624 times
Attachments
DSCN2641.JPG
DSCN2641.JPG (57.15 KiB) Viewed 624 times
Matt Lemke
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

marcstrawser wrote:so it's always open to the TH for La Plata?
yes
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by falcon568 »

Anyone have recent condition info on Elbert? Thinking of hitting the East Ridge Sunday, looks like it's going to get some snow.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives
srockwell
Trip Reports (0)

Post by srockwell »

Any route beta, pictures or recent info on Shavano? In particular, the East Ridge? I can't find much, especially on winter climbs of this route?
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

srockwell wrote:Any route beta, pictures or recent info on Shavano? In particular, the East Ridge? I can't find much, especially on winter climbs of this route?
I'd like to know about this route also! Anyone who drives 285 regularly can get an eye on the east ridge?