How's the Sawatch lookin?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rkalsbeek
14ers: 20  1 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: How's the Sawatch lookin?

Post by rkalsbeek »

Gnarly! Can't believe how much changed since Saturday, there wasn't snow anywhere. Such is mountain weather I guess. Here comes winter!
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Does anyone know what the 4wd road up antero looks like?
DanielL
14ers: 58  11  9 
13ers: 43 1 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by DanielL »

I'm hoping to hit Missouri and maybe Belford on Saturday the 19th, from Missouri Gulch. Has anyone been up there recently or seen conditions on Missouri?
pmreyn2010
14ers: 50  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by pmreyn2010 »

Any recent beta on the Sawatch?
DanielL
14ers: 58  11  9 
13ers: 43 1 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by DanielL »

pmreyn2010 wrote:Any recent beta on the Sawatch?
I climbed Missouri Mtn (standard route) with three partners yesterday. There was plenty of fresh snow on the route and we ended up breaking trail most of the way from the Belford-Elkhead Pass junction above treeline and all the way up Missouri, but avalanche danger wasn't an issue - also, this route tends to accumulate a lot more snow early on than many of the other Sawatch 14er routes. We used microspikes and gaiters, but didn't need anything else.

As far as other peaks, Belford and Oxford were looking a lot drier, and so were Elbert and Massive - I'm guessing that microspikes would still be useful though. The southern Sawatch looked even drier, but it was harder to tell.
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

Did Columbia today. Probably about 6" patchy snow at most. Got a look at Harvard and looka aimilar - snow maybe a little more consistent. Wore microspikes on descent but didn't need them on way up per say.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Views of Northern Sawatch from Savage Peak summit on Saturday. North-facing stuff is very snowy and deep.
Looking northwest to Fools Peak (far left), Gold Dust Peak, etc
Looking northwest to Fools Peak (far left), Gold Dust Peak, etc
IMG_8153.JPG (259.3 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Looking north to Missouri Lakes, Whitney Peak (right) & Holy Cross Ridge
Looking north to Missouri Lakes, Whitney Peak (right) & Holy Cross Ridge
IMG_8152.JPG (238.82 KiB) Viewed 663 times
a forest
Trip Reports (0)

Post by a forest »

i'm trying to find a peak that i can slide a bit on tomorrow but not too high avy danger. (according to the caic bulletin yesterday, sw aspect sounds generally the most safe now)

anyone know what the east slopes of princeton look like?

trying to decide between that or yale (sw from denny or east from avy th). democrat/lincoln/cameron seems like a good one but winds are looking pretty bad for tomorrow.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Any recent report on trail conditions on Shavano & Tab??? I was hoping to head out tonight and attempt tomorrow. How's the trail looking below treeline? Any good spot to set up a tent?

Thanks!
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

zoriloco wrote:Any recent report on trail conditions on Shavano & Tab??? I was hoping to head out tonight and attempt tomorrow. How's the trail looking below treeline? Any good spot to set up a tent?

Thanks!
Weather calling for 70+ MPH gusts for that area tomorrow. Just a heads up
Last edited by Somewhat of a Prick on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Right now there is not much snow on Shavano but it is snowing lightly up high and it is supposed to get heavier tonight. There is no way to know what conditions will be tomorrow.

Dave
swinginstyle
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swinginstyle »

Is anyone heading toward the Sawatch range this weekend? I'm interested in Shavano/Tabeguache and Missouri/Belford.