Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How's the Sawatch lookin?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: How's the Sawatch lookin?

Postby geojed » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:40 pm

falcon568 wrote:Has anyone seen/heard anything on snow conditions for Massive or Elbert recently? I'm guessing from earlier observations on the range that snowshoes are probably needed. CAIC has the Sawatch at "moderate" avy levels, would the East Ridge routes for both be fairly low avy risk?

From the conditions tab there is an 11/24 update http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=2789
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby justiner » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:34 pm

falcon568 wrote:Has anyone seen/heard anything on snow conditions for Massive or Elbert recently? I'm guessing from earlier observations on the range that snowshoes are probably needed. CAIC has the Sawatch at "moderate" avy levels, would the East Ridge routes for both be fairly low avy risk?

It's pretty dry up there, some wind loaded parts on east facing, uh... faces. Black Cloud TH would be little problem from what we saw up on Bull Hill. I'd bring some 'shoes. Lot less snow in that area that what I'm seeing in Summit County.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby falcon568 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Did Mt Massive Thursday/Friday. Below treeline (12,000'), deep powder snow, snowshoes a must. Saw a few avalanche-ready slopes and triggered one "whoomp" on the approach to the East Ridge. Above tree line, mix of dry rock and wind-deposited drifts of snow, some of which were quite deep.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives

Postby druid2112 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Anyone got any beta on the 390 road/Missouri Gulch TH? I keep checking the conditions/reports but haven't seen much. Wondering how close Henry the Camry will get me to the TH.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel

Postby activecolorado » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Anyone have any recent snow updates around the Sawatch from the last few weeks? Looking to get up there next week during some time off around the holidays. Thanks for any info.

Postby Yikes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:06 pm

activecolorado wrote:Anyone have any recent snow updates around the Sawatch from the last few weeks? Looking to get up there next week during some time off around the holidays. Thanks for any info.

I was on east slopes of Antero on 12/14 (Browns Cr TH to treeline). Maybe 6-18", mostly sugar w/ some crust. Had snowshoes on, but they probably aren't 100% required.

Postby activecolorado » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Yikes wrote:
I was on east slopes of Antero on 12/14 (Browns Cr TH to treeline). Maybe 6-18", mostly sugar w/ some crust. Had snowshoes on, but they probably aren't 100% required.

Awesome. Thanks for the intel, Yikes. Looking at Antero or possibly La Plata. Thanks again.

Postby Yikes » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:16 am

not the best photos, but...
DSCN2640.JPG
DSCN2640.JPG (71.62 KiB) Viewed 528 times

DSCN2624.JPG
DSCN2624.JPG (47.29 KiB) Viewed 528 times

DSCN2624.JPG
DSCN2624.JPG (47.29 KiB) Viewed 528 times
Attachments
DSCN2641.JPG
DSCN2641.JPG (57.15 KiB) Viewed 528 times

Postby Matt Lemke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:46 pm

marcstrawser wrote:so it's always open to the TH for La Plata?

yes
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby falcon568 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:01 am

Anyone have recent condition info on Elbert? Thinking of hitting the East Ridge Sunday, looks like it's going to get some snow.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives

Postby srockwell » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 am

Any route beta, pictures or recent info on Shavano? In particular, the East Ridge? I can't find much, especially on winter climbs of this route?

Postby nsaladin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:01 am

srockwell wrote:Any route beta, pictures or recent info on Shavano? In particular, the East Ridge? I can't find much, especially on winter climbs of this route?

I'd like to know about this route also! Anyone who drives 285 regularly can get an eye on the east ridge?

PreviousNext