Crestones Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jlarson630
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 11 1 2
Trip Reports (3)

Crestones Conditions?

Post by jlarson630 »

Anyone venture up there this past weekend or know of current conditions?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Crestones Conditions?

Post by bergsteigen »

The south facing gullies all had snow in them, that did not melt off by Sunday afternoon. I have some zoom photos from the Lindsey area if desired.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

I talked to a climber on my way down from Humboldt. He told me that he tried both Peak and Needle and both were very unsfafe. I believe he said there was any where between 3-6 feet of snow which covered a layer of running water. Search and Rescue was also up there and couldn't make it all the way up to the peak. However, Humboldt was great and the Ellingwood Arete also looked clear of snow.
landonhog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by landonhog »

Thanks for the udates. Headed up that way Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Looks like we'll be doing Humbolt then over to KC. Hoped to do the Crestones, but it looks like we'll be a couple weeks too late for our skill sets.

Sheller,
Was there much snow around the camping areas near SC Lakes in the basin, or was it mostly clear when you were there? Any additional info would be appreciated.

I saw your previous comments about your trip up Humbolt. Hoping we can get similar conditions if it doesn't snow to much on Friday.

Thanks in advance.
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

landonhog wrote:Thanks for the udates. Headed up that way Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Looks like we'll be doing Humbolt then over to KC. Hoped to do the Crestones, but it looks like we'll be a couple weeks too late for our skill sets.
The route from South Colony Lakes to KC is class 4, and will be as treacherous with the snow as the Crestones. The route from Willow Lakes will take you across the Avenue, which is also snow covered at present. Not sure which route you are thinking of.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

As I mentioned in my conditions report, there are sporadic small fields of snow and I wouldn't think there would be any issue with finding camping spots. Of course all of that can change with a storm. The lakes are not fully frozen over, so you might even be able to do some fishing. It is a little wet in the area with the continual freezing and thawing, so your bigger concern might be finding a dry place to set up camp.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

A friend and I are headed up tomorrow to backpack into South Colony and climb Crestone Pk on Thursday. I have a lifted 4runner, I should be fine on that 4wd section of road, right? The snow hasn't gotten that deep yet, has it?

I hear it's been melting out a bit too, and I'm assuming with the rather warmer weather we've been having, it should be a little clearer?
landonhog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by landonhog »

Thanks Berg and Sheller.

Berg,
I thought Mr. Roach labeled that down climb as a tough class 3, but I'd certainly take your first hand account over something I'm reading on paper! With current conditions, I'm sure it is... Thanks again.
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

atalarico wrote:A friend and I are headed up tomorrow to backpack into South Colony and climb Crestone Pk on Thursday. I have a lifted 4runner, I should be fine on that 4wd section of road, right? The snow hasn't gotten that deep yet, has it?

I hear it's been melting out a bit too, and I'm assuming with the rather warmer weather we've been having, it should be a little clearer?
The road should be clear now. After Sunday, not much snow was left on the road down by Lindsey, only in shady spots. Your Toyota will be fine, unless Friday's storm is bad.
landonhog wrote: Berg,
I thought Mr. Roach labeled that down climb as a tough class 3, but I'd certainly take your first hand account over something I'm reading on paper! With current conditions, I'm sure it is... Thanks again.
I've been "Roached" before, where what he calls class 3, is more like 4 to most. It's something to consider with snow, as I usually back off anything that approaches class 4, unless I'm in a solid group or know that the cruxes won't be snow filled/covered. I've found many of the easy options go away with snow.

Link to my image of route down Columbia:
http://otinasadventures.com/trip/img/ki ... _route.jpg
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

bergsteigen wrote:
atalarico wrote:A friend and I are headed up tomorrow to backpack into South Colony and climb Crestone Pk on Thursday. I have a lifted 4runner, I should be fine on that 4wd section of road, right? The snow hasn't gotten that deep yet, has it?

The road should be clear now. After Sunday, not much snow was left on the road down by Lindsey, only in shady spots. Your Toyota will be fine, unless Friday's storm is bad.
landonhog wrote: Berg,
I've been "Roached" before, where what he calls class 3, is more like 4 to most. It's something to consider with snow, as I usually back off anything that approaches class 4, unless I'm in a solid group or know that the cruxes won't be snow filled/covered. I've found many of the easy options go away with snow.

Link to my image of route down Columbia:
http://otinasadventures.com/trip/img/ki ... _route.jpg
Awesome! Thank you for the beta. Any idea of what the peak itself looks like? We're both competent climbers, but unsafe is still unsafe no matter who you are. We're contemplating a light rope and rack.

Also, getting "Roached" is the best term I've heard in a while! It reminds me of getting "Kor'd".
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

atalarico wrote: Awesome! Thank you for the beta. Any idea of what the peak itself looks like? We're both competent climbers, but unsafe is still unsafe no matter who you are. We're contemplating a light rope and rack.

Also, getting "Roached" is the best term I've heard in a while! It reminds me of getting "Kor'd".
Tough to say. The Peak may be easier with the snow, than the Needle. The upper ridge will be the hardest part. I have a TR from January this year which may give you an idea what conditions could be like with snow.
Attachments
Crestones Saturday from California
Crestones Saturday from California
crestones-sat.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Crestones on Sunday from Huerfano
Crestones on Sunday from Huerfano
crestones-sun.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 611 times

jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I would bet you can get to kit Carson from willow lake note, until the next snow. If you're willing to turn around...

Edit: I take it back...the avenue is visibly covered by a ton of snow.