Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping/Shavano

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Camping/Shavano

Postby barbiesue53 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:02 am

My husband and I are looking at a summit of Mt. Shavano early Sunday. Is there any camping along the FR252 or close to the trail head??

Re: Camping/Shavano

Postby desertdog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:30 am

Lots of places to pull over and camp. I camped About 50 yards from the TH lot.

Postby rquayle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:39 am

There are lots of good camping spots very near the trailhead. This is one of the most convenient and most pretty camping areas for the 14ers. You will like it.

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:47 am

rquayle wrote:There are lots of good camping spots very near the trailhead. This is one of the most convenient and most pretty camping areas for the 14ers. You will like it.

+1. Great camping along the road to the TH. They're all far from each other and driving passed them really made me wish I had camped the night before

Postby barbiesue53 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 am

Postby BrianWright » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:02 am

When we did Shavano years back we camped near but not right at the campsite by the trailhead. Shavano ended up being one of my favorite easy 14ers. We got really close to a huge group of Bighorn and the clouds were just beautiful. Great mountain!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

http://www.coloradomountaineering.com

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:33 am

If you don't like all the other spots, if you take the road just past the trailhead (maybe 1/8 mile) there's a large open field area, where we camped for the last spring gathering.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby SES_17 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm

If you don't like all the other spots, if you take the road just past the trailhead (maybe 1/8 mile) there's a large open field area, where we camped for the last spring gathering.

+1
There're are more sites in the trees past this area as well.
If you can't fix it with duct tape... it's broke.

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:04 pm

I hiked shav a month or so ago and remember a ton of cattle in the area passed the TH. are they freely roaming this area we are talking about?

Postby tlongpine » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:I hiked shav a month or so ago and remember a ton of cattle in the area passed the TH. are they freely roaming this area we are talking about?

Alpine Bovine. You passed over a couple of cattle guards on your way to the TH.

alpinebovine.jpg
alpinebovine.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 98 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby jeffs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:45 pm

A few years ago a friend of my hauled his pop-up camper to that meadow, setup the awning, carpet, etc.. all the luxuries of home..... We headed out the next day hiking, returned and found most of the herd hanging out in camp. About six of them were jockeying for position under the shade of the awning and had been crapping for what looked like all day..... I slept in my truck...... :shock:
Hey, it's flat up here?!