Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Castle, Conundrum: conditions and porcupines?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Castle, Conundrum: conditions and porcupines?

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 am

Are there camping sites past the river crossing?

Thanks

Postby tlongpine » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 am

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Are there camping sites past the river crossing?

Thanks

Yes.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby haybo01 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 am

FWIW: I slept in my car on the night of 8/30/13 at the junction of Pearl Pass Road and the Castle Creek 102 road, which is at about 11,200. I had to get up 3 times between 10:00 p.m. and Midnight to chase away a porcupine chewing on my car. I assume s/he quit after that, or else I slept right through it. I was paranoid that my SUV was not going to start the next day after hiking up Castle, but luckily it started right up and I have not had any problems. In hindsight, I should have taken some precautions to prevent the porcupine chewing.

Postby macgyver » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:12 am

haybo01 wrote:FWIW: I slept in my car on the night of 8/30/13 at the junction of Pearl Pass Road and the Castle Creek 102 road, which is at about 11,200. I had to get up 3 times between 10:00 p.m. and Midnight to chase away a porcupine chewing on my car. I assume s/he quit after that, or else I slept right through it. I was paranoid that my SUV was not going to start the next day after hiking up Castle, but luckily it started right up and I have not had any problems. In hindsight, I should have taken some precautions to prevent the porcupine chewing.

Do they generally mess with tents?
The only run in I've had with a car was a monster of one up in/under my truck at the th for Harvard last summer.
-MacG

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:43 am

tlongpine wrote:
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Are there camping sites past the river crossing?

Thanks

Yes.

Thanks, chief.

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

Any good cheap and easy precautions to prevent porcupine chewing?

Postby aLiEn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:51 am

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Any good cheap and easy precautions to prevent porcupine chewing?

Yes, my own bottled fart air...need some brah?! :twisted:

Postby macgyver » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:56 am

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Any good cheap and easy precautions to prevent porcupine chewing?

Threads list anything from coyote urine to mothballs (this is what i'm going to try this weekend since already have some for a skunk problem I had) to chicken wire. We'll see!!
-MacG

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 am

aLiEn wrote:

Yes, my own bottled fart air...need some brah?! :twisted:

Actually, yes. How much for a coffee can of fart air?

Previous