Castle, Conundrum: conditions and porcupines?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Castle, Conundrum: conditions and porcupines?

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Are there camping sites past the river crossing?

Thanks
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Are there camping sites past the river crossing?

Thanks
Yes.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
haybo01
14ers: 37 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by haybo01 »

FWIW: I slept in my car on the night of 8/30/13 at the junction of Pearl Pass Road and the Castle Creek 102 road, which is at about 11,200. I had to get up 3 times between 10:00 p.m. and Midnight to chase away a porcupine chewing on my car. I assume s/he quit after that, or else I slept right through it. I was paranoid that my SUV was not going to start the next day after hiking up Castle, but luckily it started right up and I have not had any problems. In hindsight, I should have taken some precautions to prevent the porcupine chewing.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

haybo01 wrote:FWIW: I slept in my car on the night of 8/30/13 at the junction of Pearl Pass Road and the Castle Creek 102 road, which is at about 11,200. I had to get up 3 times between 10:00 p.m. and Midnight to chase away a porcupine chewing on my car. I assume s/he quit after that, or else I slept right through it. I was paranoid that my SUV was not going to start the next day after hiking up Castle, but luckily it started right up and I have not had any problems. In hindsight, I should have taken some precautions to prevent the porcupine chewing.

Do they generally mess with tents?
The only run in I've had with a car was a monster of one up in/under my truck at the th for Harvard last summer.
-MacG
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

tlongpine wrote:
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Are there camping sites past the river crossing?

Thanks
Yes.

Thanks, chief.
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

Any good cheap and easy precautions to prevent porcupine chewing?
aLiEn
14ers: 58  5  3 
13ers: 149 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aLiEn »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Any good cheap and easy precautions to prevent porcupine chewing?
Yes, my own bottled fart air...need some brah?! :twisted:
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Any good cheap and easy precautions to prevent porcupine chewing?
Threads list anything from coyote urine to mothballs (this is what i'm going to try this weekend since already have some for a skunk problem I had) to chicken wire. We'll see!!
-MacG
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

aLiEn wrote:
Yes, my own bottled fart air...need some brah?! :twisted:
Actually, yes. How much for a coffee can of fart air?