Castle, Conundrum: conditions and porcupines?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Castle, Conundrum: conditions and porcupines?

Post by macgyver »

Couple of questions - Headed up to hike this Friday, how are the conditions at Castle and Conundrum? Also wanted to know if there is a 'season' for porcupines messing with trucks at the trailhead? i.e. do they tend to back off as it gets into the cooler months?
-MacG
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Castle, Conundrum: conditions and porcupines?

Post by aliciaf »

My husband and I intend on hiking these tomorrow, driving out tonight. Will let you know what conditions are like when we return.
mdwoodland
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mdwoodland »

I had the worst night sleep in my Highlander, because of that porcupine. Relentless.
“There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

mdwoodland wrote:I had the worst night sleep in my Highlander, because of that porcupine. Relentless.
Where did you park? I'm heading up later this week and would like to avoid any porcupine battles if possible.
mdwoodland
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mdwoodland »

On the right side of the road, right before the creek crossing and bridge.
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

Just left Castle Creek TH. Didn't even attempt to hike because it stormed all night - rain, thunder & lightning. It was still storming for our 4am alarm and still for our 6am alarm. Got up at 745am and it was subsided but clouds still looked ominous. Decided not to try for it.

Was able to get our Subaru Outback up to about 11100ft, past the creek crossing. The creek wasn't too bad to cross with some careful driving.

Edit: we didnt encounter any porcupines during the night.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

aliciaf wrote:Just left Castle Creek TH. Didn't even attempt to hike because it stormed all night - rain, thunder & lightning. It was still storming for our 4am alarm and still for our 6am alarm. Got up at 745am and it was subsided but clouds still looked ominous. Decided not to try for it.

Was able to get our Subaru Outback up to about 11100ft, past the creek crossing. The creek wasn't too bad to cross with some careful driving.

Edit: we didnt encounter any porcupines during the night.

Sorry to hear the weather came down on you! Thanks for the info and I hope you can get back up soon!
-MacG
oldkingog
14ers: 49 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldkingog »

So, what's the story with the porcupines up there? How are they keeping people awake???
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

oldkingog wrote:So, what's the story with the porcupines up there? How are they keeping people awake???
I think they chew on your vehicle. So if you are sleeping in your vehicle or close by in a tent, the noise keeps you up.
oldkingog
14ers: 49 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldkingog »

I've never seen that! I wonder if they ever puncture tires...
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

oldkingog wrote:So, what's the story with the porcupines up there? How are they keeping people awake???
They party into all hours of the night with their loud music and the devil's spinach....no common courtesy.
Future Ruins
14ers: 52 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Future Ruins »

Earplugs will be a must on Friday night, Macguyver!!