Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm

of course it's bad. but we're gonna use it as a warmup of subpar conditions. It's an easy retreat and very fast climb. a 5a start will do us just fine.

(and besides - I'm really excited to be in the snow! I can't freaking wait for winter conditions)

EDIT: as of now, we'll be up at Capitol next weekend too. It was the one thing I wanted this summer and it just hasn't worked out yet

Postby kushrocks » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Not sure what kind of snow Capitol will get with all the precip but with this kind of weekend forecast even before all the rain that has hit that area the last few days I wouldn't go anywhere near the Elks this weekend. That area is loose enough already.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

kushrocks wrote:Not sure what kind of snow Capitol will get with all the precip but with this kind of weekend forecast even before all the rain that has hit that area the last few days I wouldn't go anywhere near the Elks this weekend. That area is loose enough already.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#

c'mon Ryan! Didn't you want to finish on Capitol in extreme measures? Or do we need specifically calendar winter? :wink:

Postby Dan_Suitor » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 am

Any more updates from the field? I was going to do Pyramid on Sunday, but will probably put it off till the following weekend unless things improve drastically. Castle/Conundrum could also be an option for Sunday, if the weather improves enough. Anybody have insight on how safe Castle/Conundrum is if it's still wet?
Thanks
Dan

Postby gonzalj » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Hey Dan,

Well it hasn't rained that much today and at times has been sunny. However, the elks have gotten a decent amount of rain this week and right now I simply wouldn't trust the rock on pyramid, the bells or any of the other class 3/4 peaks around here. Castle/Conundrum is easier and a little more forgiving, but the talus & scree on that peak are loose as well and my opinion would be just so postpone for better weather as most of the days up here have been cloudy & rain a fairly decent percentage of the time (mornings, afternoons & night time).

Postby Dan_Suitor » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info Jorge. Guess I'll wait a week for this one and go with option number 3, watching football and drinking beer :iluvbeer:

Postby seanmstewart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am

Any update on snow on Capitol? Want to attempt it this weekend, but don't really want to mess with that K2 traverse if there is going to be ice or snow on the route, might as well save it to next year.

Postby oldschool » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:38 pm

as of this morning, Monday the 16th, there's no snow on capital. I can see the summit from my job in Basalt.

Postby seanmstewart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:16 pm

oldschool wrote:as of this morning, Monday the 16th, there's no snow on capital. I can see the summit from my job in Basalt.

Thanks. :-D

Postby oldschool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 pm

big storms moved through the Basalt and Aspen area in area last night but still no snow on capital!

Postby gb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Snowed today on the Crested Butte side of the elks...

Postby nyker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Capitol has some fresh white on it after today...

PreviousNext