Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seanmstewart
14ers: 28 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Post by seanmstewart »

shearmodulus wrote:Snow.
Snow.
Snow.
Snow.
Snow.

<never too soon to start the snow dance and chanting>
Stop that. We have all winter climb snowy things. We only have a couple more weeks to climb rocky things!
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

we're most likely pushing back till next weekend. It is what it is. I really want that mountain and I don't want to be rushed anyway. I want to enjoy every second of it.

I imagine we'll try for Sherman or Decalibron this weekend. Easy retreats that the lady still hasn't gotten yet. Bummer!
seanmstewart
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

forbins_mtn wrote:we're most likely pushing back till next weekend. It is what it is. I really want that mountain and I don't want to be rushed anyway. I want to enjoy every second of it.

I imagine we'll try for Sherman or Decalibron this weekend. Easy retreats that the lady still hasn't gotten yet. Bummer!
If you guys are up for doing a knife-edge warm-up, I am climbing Mt. Meeker on Saturday. Weather is supposed to be good in RMNP.
TRodewald
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TRodewald »

I may be interested in Maroon early morning on the 22nd as long as the weather looks good. This will be a finisher for me.

=D> =D> =D>

Tim
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

TRodewald wrote:I may be interested in Maroon early morning on the 22nd as long as the weather looks good. This will be a finisher for me.

=D> =D> =D>

Tim
Here is what it looked like coming down the east side of indy pass on the morning of sept. 24, 2012 and of course the bells, later that same morning... Snow levels are way high still and look to stay that way for the most part during the next 7 days at least.

424A0544-2.jpg
424A0544-2.jpg (233.7 KiB) Viewed 757 times
424A0630.jpg
424A0630.jpg (330.2 KiB) Viewed 757 times
mdwoodland
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mdwoodland »

TRodewald wrote:I may be interested in Maroon early morning on the 22nd as long as the weather looks good. This will be a finisher for me.

=D> =D> =D>

Tim
Tim, The Bells are also me and my buddy's Finisher. We were planning on going this Sunday. At this point though, we are just looking for a good weather window. The 22nd may work for us too.

Mike
“There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe
TRodewald
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TRodewald »

Cool, I am out of town for training this week and next or I would be good to go this weekend. I return to Denver the afternoon of the 20th. Let me know if you guys are not able to get it done this weekend. If so the the morning of the 22nd would be good. Either way good luck and congrats on fininshing up soon :!: :!: :!:

Tim
flatlander51
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by flatlander51 »

Drove up Capital Creek trailhead today in a Santa Fe. Not bad. Did a horseback ride about 4 miles in toward Capital Peak. Off and on light rain most of the day. Puddles and muddy spots numerous. Going to hike to Crater Lake tomorrow to see the Bells for the first time. (Would never try to climb them but did do Huron last Monday and it was awesome!) Will post a report on weather conditions as soon as I can.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Here's a view of the bells I took a little bit ago. The sky has cleared up kind of nice this morning and there's no snow on the bells. My picture is too large to upload here, but here's a link to my photo:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rain even though it's been pretty consistent up here this week has been pretty light, compared to all the flooding issues I've heard around the front range.
seanmstewart
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

Can't see the picture, but thanks for the update. Looking like next weekend is a tentative go.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

seanmstewart wrote:Can't see the picture, but thanks for the update. Looking like next weekend is a tentative go.
Try again. I just changed the option on the picture for the public to see it.
seanmstewart
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

gonzalj wrote:
seanmstewart wrote:Can't see the picture, but thanks for the update. Looking like next weekend is a tentative go.
Try again. I just changed the option on the picture for the public to see it.

Beautiful picture! Thanks man.