Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Post by Hungry Jack »

Might have to make it my desktop for a while. It's restaurant quality!
seanmstewart
14ers: 28 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

Ironic that it now looks like the Elk Range is the only climbable range in CO this weekend.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

seanmstewart wrote:Ironic that it now looks like the Elk Range is the only climbable range in CO this weekend.
Really, what forecast are you looking at? (I have a vested interest)

This is the one I'm looking at:

Saturday A chance of rain showers before 7am, then a chance of snow showers between 7am and 1pm, then rain and snow showers likely after 1pm. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a high near 51. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night Rain and snow showers likely, becoming all snow after 1am. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday Snow showers likely before 7am, then rain and snow showers likely between 7am and 1pm, then rain showers likely after 1pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

rijaca wrote:
seanmstewart wrote:Ironic that it now looks like the Elk Range is the only climbable range in CO this weekend.
Really, what forecast are you looking at? (I have a vested interest)

This is the one I'm looking at:

Saturday A chance of rain showers before 7am, then a chance of snow showers between 7am and 1pm, then rain and snow showers likely after 1pm. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a high near 51. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night Rain and snow showers likely, becoming all snow after 1am. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday Snow showers likely before 7am, then rain and snow showers likely between 7am and 1pm, then rain showers likely after 1pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Well, Ricky, with that forecast, I'd like for you to be extra careful so that you don't get stranded in an abandoned cabin. :-D
seanmstewart
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

Weather Channel forecast has Sunday in the Bells - Snowmass at 40% chance of precipitation after noon at this point, it might be behind.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

No, it's probably just lower.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

When I drove past Emma on 82 at 6:30 tonight - Capitol was completely socked in... Same view 15 minutes later from Brush Creek Road... Raining as I write this... I've got my fingers crossed for you guys!
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

I can't speak for the rest of peeps in this thread, but I'm postponing. I'm going for something as equally as exciting, with even more death involved, and I'm positive it'll make the masses on 14ers.com incredibly jealous.....I'm busting out the Sherman!! boo-ya!
seanmstewart
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

forbins_mtn wrote:I can't speak for the rest of peeps in this thread, but I'm postponing. I'm going for something as equally as exciting, with even more death involved, and I'm positive it'll make the masses on 14ers.com incredibly jealous.....I'm busting out the Sherman!! boo-ya!
Isn't the weather forecast kind of bad there as well?

I'm hitting Capitol 21st-22nd still if there is some sun to dry up whatever happens this week. Just an FYI.
forbins_mtn
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

of course it's bad. but we're gonna use it as a warmup of subpar conditions. It's an easy retreat and very fast climb. a 5a start will do us just fine.

(and besides - I'm really excited to be in the snow! I can't freaking wait for winter conditions)

EDIT: as of now, we'll be up at Capitol next weekend too. It was the one thing I wanted this summer and it just hasn't worked out yet
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Not sure what kind of snow Capitol will get with all the precip but with this kind of weekend forecast even before all the rain that has hit that area the last few days I wouldn't go anywhere near the Elks this weekend. That area is loose enough already.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
forbins_mtn
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

kushrocks wrote:Not sure what kind of snow Capitol will get with all the precip but with this kind of weekend forecast even before all the rain that has hit that area the last few days I wouldn't go anywhere near the Elks this weekend. That area is loose enough already.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c'mon Ryan! Didn't you want to finish on Capitol in extreme measures? Or do we need specifically calendar winter? :wink: