Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seanmstewart
14ers: 28 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Post by seanmstewart »

Hey. A buddy and I were hoping to do Capitol on the 21st, I'm just curious if anyone knows how this snowstorm will affect the route / how Capitol's ridge generally is in late September. Thanks.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Post by gonzalj »

I just did a hike up to crater lake. As of right now the bells & pyramid have no snow or ice on the route and looked relatively dry. I'm going to be going back again Thursday morning to check conditions since the forecast is calling for snow the next couple of nights.
seanmstewart
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

SilverLynx wrote:Another group of about 8-10 of us were hoping to do Capitol this weekend (September 15) but we're all nervously awaiting the results of this cold front... I think September is normally probably a great time to do the peak but I don't know about this year. :?
Just planning to call the rangers on Thursday or so?

Not sure how to figure out whether it will be doable. Hopefully posters on here fill us in. I would be pretty bummed if I didn't get up there this year, but such is hiking.
gonzalj
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

I'm going back to the bells Thursday morning and will take some pics to update conditions. On the weather, clouds started building today around 10 and it started raining lightly at 12:45. Yesterday it was pretty much cloudy & raining off and on all day (although no snow yet).
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Same...crossing my fingers for a snow-free S Ridge this weekend.

FWIW, Pikes shows a forecast that looks at least as bad as the Elks, and at least so far, looking at the summit webcams, I don't see any snow. Let's hope it stays that way somehow!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

gonzalj wrote:I'm going back to the bells Thursday morning and will take some pics to update conditions. On the weather, clouds started building today around 10 and it started raining lightly at 12:45. Yesterday it was pretty much cloudy & raining off and on all day (although no snow yet).
Where in the state are you? I'd appreciate an update as well!
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

Ditto. We'll be driving over from Colorado Springs on Sat morning, camping near Crater Lake and climbing N Maroon on Sun, so your conditions update on Thurs or Fri would be appreciated and could save us a trip. Might have to head to another part of the state, but everywhere is forecasting wet weather.

Thanks!
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

I work in Basalt and can see the N face of Capital all day. As of now, no snow, but raining here. I too am heading for S Ridge, then hoping to continue on to Capital. Weather will dictate........
gonzalj
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Theodore wrote:
gonzalj wrote:I'm going back to the bells Thursday morning and will take some pics to update conditions. On the weather, clouds started building today around 10 and it started raining lightly at 12:45. Yesterday it was pretty much cloudy & raining off and on all day (although no snow yet).
Where in the state are you? I'd appreciate an update as well!
I'm in Aspen all week. I'm headed back to the bells Thursday to investigate things as I was planning on climbing the bells Thursday but have already scratched that and depending upon what I see Thursday, could have an impact on my plans for the weekend. Anyway, I'll post some kind of update Thursday.
seanmstewart
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

oldschool wrote:I work in Basalt and can see the N face of Capital all day. As of now, no snow, but raining here. I too am heading for S Ridge, then hoping to continue on to Capital. Weather will dictate........
Thanks for the report. Keep me tuned in if you don't mind.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

I'll give a report tmrw morning........
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Silverlynx- the lady and I are shooting to be up there this weekend as well. We can only hope for a window of opportunity! See you guys up there