Forum

Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 14er Trip Reports, Condition Reports
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby seanmstewart » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 am

Hey. A buddy and I were hoping to do Capitol on the 21st, I'm just curious if anyone knows how this snowstorm will affect the route / how Capitol's ridge generally is in late September. Thanks.

User avatar
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Northglenn

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Another group of about 8-10 of us were hoping to do Capitol this weekend (September 15) but we're all nervously awaiting the results of this cold front... I think September is normally probably a great time to do the peak but I don't know about this year. :?

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby gonzalj » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:24 pm

I just did a hike up to crater lake. As of right now the bells & pyramid have no snow or ice on the route and looked relatively dry. I'm going to be going back again Thursday morning to check conditions since the forecast is calling for snow the next couple of nights.

Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby seanmstewart » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 pm

SilverLynx wrote:Another group of about 8-10 of us were hoping to do Capitol this weekend (September 15) but we're all nervously awaiting the results of this cold front... I think September is normally probably a great time to do the peak but I don't know about this year. :?


Just planning to call the rangers on Thursday or so?

Not sure how to figure out whether it will be doable. Hopefully posters on here fill us in. I would be pretty bummed if I didn't get up there this year, but such is hiking.

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby gonzalj » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm going back to the bells Thursday morning and will take some pics to update conditions. On the weather, clouds started building today around 10 and it started raining lightly at 12:45. Yesterday it was pretty much cloudy & raining off and on all day (although no snow yet).

User avatar
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:02 pm
Location: K-town (near the Smokies)

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby ChrisinAZ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Same...crossing my fingers for a snow-free S Ridge this weekend.

FWIW, Pikes shows a forecast that looks at least as bad as the Elks, and at least so far, looking at the summit webcams, I don't see any snow. Let's hope it stays that way somehow!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy


Mah peaks

User avatar
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Northglenn

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 pm

seanmstewart wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:Another group of about 8-10 of us were hoping to do Capitol this weekend (September 15) but we're all nervously awaiting the results of this cold front... I think September is normally probably a great time to do the peak but I don't know about this year. :?


Just planning to call the rangers on Thursday or so?

Not sure how to figure out whether it will be doable. Hopefully posters on here fill us in. I would be pretty bummed if I didn't get up there this year, but such is hiking.

Counting on Jorge and another person to investigate conditions as the weekend gets close.

User avatar
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Leawood, KS

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 pm

gonzalj wrote:I'm going back to the bells Thursday morning and will take some pics to update conditions. On the weather, clouds started building today around 10 and it started raining lightly at 12:45. Yesterday it was pretty much cloudy & raining off and on all day (although no snow yet).


Where in the state are you? I'd appreciate an update as well!

Online
User avatar
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby Bob Kocher » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Ditto. We'll be driving over from Colorado Springs on Sat morning, camping near Crater Lake and climbing N Maroon on Sun, so your conditions update on Thurs or Fri would be appreciated and could save us a trip. Might have to head to another part of the state, but everywhere is forecasting wet weather.

Thanks!

User avatar
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby oldschool » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 pm

I work in Basalt and can see the N face of Capital all day. As of now, no snow, but raining here. I too am heading for S Ridge, then hoping to continue on to Capital. Weather will dictate........

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby gonzalj » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Theodore wrote:
gonzalj wrote:I'm going back to the bells Thursday morning and will take some pics to update conditions. On the weather, clouds started building today around 10 and it started raining lightly at 12:45. Yesterday it was pretty much cloudy & raining off and on all day (although no snow yet).


Where in the state are you? I'd appreciate an update as well!


I'm in Aspen all week. I'm headed back to the bells Thursday to investigate things as I was planning on climbing the bells Thursday but have already scratched that and depending upon what I see Thursday, could have an impact on my plans for the weekend. Anyway, I'll post some kind of update Thursday.

Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Postby seanmstewart » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 pm

oldschool wrote:I work in Basalt and can see the N face of Capital all day. As of now, no snow, but raining here. I too am heading for S Ridge, then hoping to continue on to Capital. Weather will dictate........


Thanks for the report. Keep me tuned in if you don't mind.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rocky, Trotter and 17 guests