Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pikes Peak Movie Filming

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Pikes Peak Movie Filming

Postby clemsonmtneer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:05 am

colorado yooper wrote:Clemson- the Pikes Peak Hwy is managed by teh City of Colorado Springs not the Forest Service. And while I still wait to see Chris D's movie he did use a video camera in a Wilderness Area which is against the rules, as is using anything with wheels or motors. That's what makes it wilderness. Unless we had special permission we couldn't use chainsaws to fight a wildfire in a wilderness area but were limited to hand tools. I wonder if they need a permit to drive on the road from COS and then another permit from the USFS to crash a car off the road. I wonder if it will be stunt doubles and the stars? It could be a fun time to hike for autographs... Paul Walker was the pace car driver for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb a couple of years ago and was pretty smooth on his way to the top.

You're right, I totally forgot it was a wilderness area issue and not a National Forest issue. (I'll blame the early hour and lack of caffeine :lol: ). As for Davenport's movie... it did get posted online several months ago, although I'm not sure whether it was just a temporary release or if it's still available.

Postby George Kaplan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:55 am

I was just reading on the Gazette's site that the highway and north slopes area is to be closed on Friday, Sept. 6 and Tuesday, Sept. 10, rather than Sept. 6 through the 10th. I think that they are still planning to keep the highway open for tourism/hiking over the weekend.

http://coloradosprings.com/pikes-peak-closures-for-filming-tweaked/article/1505304

Postby tlongpine » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 am

clemsonmtneer wrote:Ridiculous that a Fast and Furious movie can be filmed on forest service land atop a 14k peak, yet Chris Davenport is prohibited by the forest service from releasing his ski the 14ers film and making money off of it.

Permits, son.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 am

The filmmakers have to be paying ridiculously large amounts of money to the highway organization (i.e. the city of Colorado Springs) to close it. It's always been a commercial venture, after all.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby CO Native » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:08 am

George Kaplan wrote:I was just reading on the Gazette's site that the highway and north slopes area is to be closed on Friday, Sept. 6 and Tuesday, Sept. 10, rather than Sept. 6 through the 10th. I think that they are still planning to keep the highway open for tourism/hiking over the weekend.

http://coloradosprings.com/pikes-peak-closures-for-filming-tweaked/article/1505304

I do believe you are correct. I should read more carefully.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby MonGoose » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:23 am

colorado yooper wrote: ... And while I still wait to see Chris D's movie...

Wait no longer.

Postby Kojones » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:52 am

We may never see the result of this. Paul Walker died in a car crash yesterday. Movie wasn't finished filming yet. RIP.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Dex » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Previous