crestone needle/peak traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
arianna2
14ers: 58 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

crestone needle/peak traverse

Post by arianna2 »

Has anyone hiked the traverse between crestone needle and crestone peak. What difficulty level is it. It doesn't look like it goes down enough in elevation so we probably won't do it but would like to have the option.
caad4rep
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: crestone needle/peak traverse

Post by caad4rep »

I wouldn't really describe it as a hike.... If you go Peak to Needle you're looking at steep and exposed Class 4 (maybe low class 5) up the backside of the needle. Needle to Peak would require a rappel off the needle. Tough route finding with the occasional Class 4-5 section . It's very do-able just give yourself plenty of time and make sure your abilities are up to it.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

No, no one has ever done one of the classic 14er traverses.... :roll:

Actually, the traverse is great, and is generally considered class 4.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

arianna2 wrote:Has anyone hiked the traverse between crestone needle and crestone peak. What difficulty level is it. It doesn't look like it goes down enough in elevation so we probably won't do it but would like to have the option.
Based on your peaks list it might make sense to tackle a couple more 3rd or 4th class routes before you go after Crestone Peak to Needle Traverse. There are a bunch of trip reports of the traverse (I have one) and it is a pretty serious endeavor. To us one of the biggest challenges was routefinding.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
arianna2
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (45)

Post by arianna2 »

Thanks all...That is all I need to know. A friend had told us about it and made it sound easy. Doesn't look that way. Congrats to all of you that have accomplished such a feat.