Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

crestone needle/peak traverse

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

crestone needle/peak traverse

Postby arianna2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:49 am

Has anyone hiked the traverse between crestone needle and crestone peak. What difficulty level is it. It doesn't look like it goes down enough in elevation so we probably won't do it but would like to have the option.

Re: crestone needle/peak traverse

Postby caad4rep » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:57 am

I wouldn't really describe it as a hike.... If you go Peak to Needle you're looking at steep and exposed Class 4 (maybe low class 5) up the backside of the needle. Needle to Peak would require a rappel off the needle. Tough route finding with the occasional Class 4-5 section . It's very do-able just give yourself plenty of time and make sure your abilities are up to it.

Postby rijaca » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:57 am

No, no one has ever done one of the classic 14er traverses.... :roll:

Actually, the traverse is great, and is generally considered class 4.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby djkest » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 am

arianna2 wrote:Has anyone hiked the traverse between crestone needle and crestone peak. What difficulty level is it. It doesn't look like it goes down enough in elevation so we probably won't do it but would like to have the option.

Based on your peaks list it might make sense to tackle a couple more 3rd or 4th class routes before you go after Crestone Peak to Needle Traverse. There are a bunch of trip reports of the traverse (I have one) and it is a pretty serious endeavor. To us one of the biggest challenges was routefinding.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby arianna2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks all...That is all I need to know. A friend had told us about it and made it sound easy. Doesn't look that way. Congrats to all of you that have accomplished such a feat.