Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

good 14er to take people on?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: good 14er to take people on?

Postby clemsonmtneer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:22 am

It would be a bit of a drive, but Handies Peak in the San Juans comes to mind as something that would be a great option for you guys... relatively easy and very scenic (this is true for both routes, from American Basin or Grizzly Gulch), great camping nearby, and an access road that doesn't suck nearly as much as the road to S Colony Lakes.

Postby trektheworld » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:27 am

clemsonmtneer wrote:It would be a bit of a drive, but Handies Peak in the San Juans comes to mind as something that would be a great option for you guys... relatively easy and very scenic (this is true for both routes, from American Basin or Grizzly Gulch), great camping nearby, and an access road that doesn't suck nearly as much as the road to S Colony Lakes.

thanks for the suggestion - maybe another time. It's just too much of a drive.

Now i've been looking at Missouri Mtn. - seems pretty simple. How's the dispersed camping near the trailhead?

Postby bob863 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:31 am

Missouri would be good....nice dispersed camping and your Element should have no problem....

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:02 am

If you're taking a group to that area, Huron would be a better choice. Better trail and scenery - Missouri is kind of a choss pile. There's also lots of good roadside camping around Winfield. The wildflowers along either route should be terrific right now.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby huffy13 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 am

Missouri would be kind of a long day. I will concur with the thought that if you are heading in the center of the Sawatch, Huron is your best option. Winfield is a great place to camp, the hike is one of the most scenic in the Sawatch...you will not be disappointed.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby trektheworld » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 pm

huffy13 wrote:Missouri would be kind of a long day. I will concur with the thought that if you are heading in the center of the Sawatch, Huron is your best option. Winfield is a great place to camp, the hike is one of the most scenic in the Sawatch...you will not be disappointed.

I've already done Huron guys - I marked it as my favorite 14er so far. It was great - and though I would do it again...I'm just one of these people who likes to explore new things and places instead of re-treading old favorites...

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:44 am

It was your favorite, you'd do it again, but not with your friends? Maybe you should reexamine your priorities. :wink:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous