Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Big Rockslide on Snowmass

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Big Rockslide on Snowmass

Postby djkest » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Today I heard a massive rockslide on Snowmass Mountain area; didn't see it. We were packing up our bags, it was very close to 11:25 AM. Several extremely loud and deep (big rocks) impacts and I think the slide must have gone on for about 20 seconds. I know where was quite a few people behind us, anyone have some info on what happened?

As a side note, I personally dislodged a ~200 lb rock when we were crossing over the stream. It went about 20 feet before it came to rest but it scared the crap out of us for a second.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Re: Big Rockslide on Snowmass

Postby James Dziezynski » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:39 pm

No news is good news.

The slopes just above the lake are always peeling off. On my last trip to Snowmass, my partner and I had to evade a refrigerator-sized boulder as it screamed down the gully we were descending.
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Postby Hungry Jack » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14 am

Snowmass sounds like a treacherous place up high.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby spiderman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 am

That peak sure is a dangerous one to me. The traverse from Snowmass to NE Snowmass scared the snot out of me. So many refrigerator-sized boulders that were loose on the route that I took on the backside. It wasn't worth the danger just to tag an unranked 14er.

Postby alsrun » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:18 am

The West slope gullies on the Geneva Lake side are particularly prone to slides especially following periods of heavy rain. It sure is beautiful back there though.

Postby Tony1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:14 pm

I was in a group of 5 on Snowmass yesterday. By that time we were back on the east side on the descent, but still quite high on the mountain. None of us heard any rockfall though (that I know of). However, over Saturday night two others in the group heard sustained rockfall nearby for around 2 minutes! :shock: To say I was on my toes for the entire climb would be an understatement.

By "stream" are you referring to the steep slope just above Snowmass Lake? Lots of loose stuff there... We stayed to the left on the way up and I heard a rock shift beneath one that I stepped on near the top. Terrifying.

Postby iquack08 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:10 pm

It seems like rockslides are not too uncommon on Snowmass. I still can't imagine how that's possible on the standard route, but I guess it happens. I remember it claimed the life of a young man about two years ago.

Postby WarDamnPanic » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:59 pm

The scree field heading up to the snowmass was horrid on Saturday, lots of rockfall on the steepest pitch. I would recommend crossing over the stream about halfway up before it gets steep, the grassy trail on that side was much more pleasant on the decent and no rockfall.

Postby fox_inthesnow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:03 am

This time last year I witnessed an incredibly loud 30 second rockslide in the amphitheater above the lake which crossed over the day's planned route. Needless to say I turned around. I caught up with the only other climber that day (who had summited earlier) and he hadn't heard a thing from down near the lake. Exercise caution on this peak.