Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Weather App

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

14er Weather App

Postby moff » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Does anyone know how they come up with the temperature for each 14er in 14er Weather App? I'm guessing it's the temperature at some place closer to the TH, and not near the top of the 14er. If so, then I guess I have to add about 3 degrees for every 1000ft. Thanks in advance if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Re: 14er Weather App

Postby jdorje » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:16 pm

moff wrote:Does anyone know how they come up with the temperature for each 14er in 14er Weather App? I'm guessing it's the temperature at some place closer to the TH, and not near the top of the 14er. If so, then I guess I have to add about 3 degrees for every 1000ft. Thanks in advance if anyone has any thoughts on this.

I don't know about the weather app (got a link?), but if you follow the links on this site to weather.gov weather, it will list the elevation for the forecast. Sometimes you can click around to get a more accurate lock on your location/elevation, but it's a pretty coarse-grained system. All of it is surely interpolated by computer. And yes, you need to adjust if your destination is higher (or lower) than the forecast elevation.

The hourly graphs are particularly helpful, I feel.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.12&lon=-106.45#.UcSmDZxaYtp <-- Elbert forecast
Elevation: 13002 ft
Saturday temperature: 47-51-51-47
Saturday precipitation potential: 0% until 1pm, when it becomes 2% then 4% (you should also extrapolate from this to adjust for elevation and prominence)

Can be confusing since it randomly shows the forecast for Monarch pass (or some other location) along with its elevation.
-Jason Dorje Short

Re: 14er Weather App

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Here's a discussion from a few years ago about the NOAA point forecasts:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28048
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright