Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Turned away at TH (Is this standard?)

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Turned away at TH (Is this standard?)

Postby scalba123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 pm

dleebuddy wrote:I was reading this thread just waiting for it to "go postal" (or the like). The tones were getting more confrontational....and then Bowman, Monster5, and others interject thoughtful, introspective comments. Very disappointing. Kudos guys! :-D

Rangerguy2012! Come back! We need you!!!

Postby bonehead » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:50 am

Doug Shaw wrote:until I get older and look back on how I used to behave
and realize what a complete idiot I was.

Guilty

Postby elhombre » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:20 am

It sure has become obvious who people are now days. The original post is a matter of questioning authority and the rights of both the police and civilians. The progressive people immediately say you need to shut up and do what ever the cop said, and as usual, they pigeon hole the people questioning authority as extreme space alien conspiracy theorists. I guess that is the best they have.

I work on the streets with cops every day. They can arrest anyone at anytime. Now the supreme court has even said it is legal to take DNA samples from everyone who is arrested (not convicted). That cop can and will do anything he wants to do. To answer the question of where his authority starts and stops: he will arrest you if he gets pissed off enough, and you will have to take your chances with a judge in the next few days. "Sorry folks, park's closed, Cop out front should have told ya"

HINT : If you ever are in danger of getting arrested, puke all over yourself. Cops hate to clean up there car after taking a stinky, puke covered person to jail. Personally seen it work for DWI, fights, and disorderly conduct.....
“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.” Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado, leading congressional sponsor of a federal ban on high-capacity magazines.

Postby quaternion » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 pm

This may explain what was going on. The jeep was there on June 20 as we hiked in, but gone when we hiked out on June 22.
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (131.57 KiB) Viewed 611 times
As I bask in the glorious wake of modest achievement... - Dennis Miller

Postby RenoBob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 pm

With a little more effort and about 100 extra posts this has all the makings of a thread Hall of Fame post.
Don't give up people.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby John Landers » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 pm

quaternion wrote:This may explain what was going on. The jeep was there on June 20 as we hiked in, but gone when we hiked out on June 22.
Picture1.jpg

Back in the olden days, my 1981 Chevy Monte Carlo handled worse conditions than this. :-D

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 pm

elhombre wrote:HINT : If you ever are in danger of getting arrested, puke all over yourself. Cops hate to clean up there car after taking a stinky, puke covered person to jail. Personally seen it work for DWI, fights, and disorderly conduct.....

BUT: what if I pull a switcheroo and throw up on the cop, will I get to take his car home?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby jwinters » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Classic photo

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:41 am

Sky wrote:Not sure why this is so surprising? That's just the way cops are!

Right. That's what I *always* do at work... and I encourage my coworkers to do the same. We pretty much just run around and close roads to be a nuisance. I don't have any purpose in doing so, I just do things like this to try to get a rise out of people on web forums :roll:

To the OP, this does sound a bit unusual, at least based on the SAR situations I've seen. But, I'd suggest calling the Sheriff's office to find out why you were denied access. That's what I would do if it was me, at least.

Postby bonehead » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 am

Postby danb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

Bowman wrote:Yesterday afternoon, I arrived at Lake Como road, planning on backpacking up to the lake and hiking B & E the following morning. There were several SAR congregated at the beginning of the road. As I drove past, I was immediately "pulled over" by a member of the county sheriff's office, who told me that I was not allowed to hike in, explaining that there was a rescue in progress. He said that that they would be a few hours. I then drove back to the beginning of the road, planning to wait until they had completed the rescue (I had nothing else to do). The same officer approached me and told me I had to leave the road and that I would not be able to hike in the area that night.

Obviously, I do not and did not want to interfere with the search and rescue operation (I hope everyone is OK--I have not seen any news on the event). But is it standard to close down a trail (or road) and trailhead completely when an operation is being performed?

I arrived there at about 8pm that same evening, and drove a 4 wheeler up past Jaws 2. Saw that Jeep humping a tree also. Nobody stopped me and my companion. As mentioned the Jeep was removed on the 21st or 22nd, as by 4pm on Sat the 22nd it was not there.

Purely conjecture, but I too would imagine it had to do with the Jeep wrecking and them being very cautious about what was going on, perhaps before they had ascertained the full situation.

To me it appeared that Jeep might have lost brakes and snagged that tree on purpose to avoid a runaway crash at the next switchback. It was real steep off that side and the tree was pretty small! But after the Jeep was gone, the tree was hardly damaged, just bark scuff.... Probably everyone just erring on the side of caution.

Previous