Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Turned away at TH (Is this standard?)

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Turned away at TH (Is this standard?)

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:45 am

The time I helped it was removing an injured hiker. So no search, but people taking turns on the stretcher were appreciated.

I can understand closing the road to vehicles when it’s blocked by the extraction efforts. But being told to leave the area was more than necessary. Perhaps they were in a more reactive mode with it being one of their own.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Scott P » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:59 am

From my own experiences, it seems pretty standard. I can think of it happening at least three times, the last being on Memorial Day Weekend on the Incline on Pikes.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby davebobk47 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:32 am

In my 3 years doing SAR in NM there were a few occasions that we closed down areas because of terrain and/or recovery operations. Each time an area was shut down I felt it was totally justified. However, more often than not the area was left open to hikers although we typically let them know the situation.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby Sky » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 am

Not sure why this is so surprising? That's just the way cops are!
"It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go"

Postby chrismjx » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 am

I guess there was no way to just make a loop around that power-trippin' pig? You should've made him explain to you exactly what law gave him the authority to close public access to a public area, if for no other reason than just to piss him off... Or asked for his name and badge number and called his department to force an explanation (I'm guessing they would've backed down and let you go on). There is no realistic way that you could have possibly interfered with what they were trying to accomplish, and no reason to expect that you intended to either. If he was a "good" cop, he would've taken the time to explain to you what was happening, find out what your plans were, etc., instead of just "NONE SHALL PASS!". Small-town hick cops man...

Postby Col_Forbin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:29 am

chrismjx wrote:I guess there was no way to just make a loop around that power-trippin' pig? You should've made him explain to you exactly what law gave him the authority to close public access to a public area, if for no other reason than just to piss him off... Or asked for his name and badge number and called his department to force an explanation (I'm guessing they would've backed down and let you go on). There is no realistic way that you could have possibly interfered with what they were trying to accomplish, and no reason to expect that you intended to either. If he was a "good" cop, he would've taken the time to explain to you what was happening, find out what your plans were, etc., instead of just "NONE SHALL PASS!". Small-town hick cops man...

you sound ignorant. don't make comments such as "there is no realistic way you could have interfered" with such confidence. have some respect for the situation atleast, because your lack of respect for the cop is obvious

Postby chrismjx » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am

Col_Forbin wrote:
chrismjx wrote:I guess there was no way to just make a loop around that power-trippin' pig? You should've made him explain to you exactly what law gave him the authority to close public access to a public area, if for no other reason than just to piss him off... Or asked for his name and badge number and called his department to force an explanation (I'm guessing they would've backed down and let you go on). There is no realistic way that you could have possibly interfered with what they were trying to accomplish, and no reason to expect that you intended to either. If he was a "good" cop, he would've taken the time to explain to you what was happening, find out what your plans were, etc., instead of just "NONE SHALL PASS!". Small-town hick cops man...

you sound ignorant. don't make comments such as "there is no realistic way you could have interfered" with such confidence. have some respect for the situation atleast, because your lack of respect for the cop is obvious

Your skills with the english language are impressive! I'm glad that my lack of respect for cops is obvious, since that is what I was going for here! :-D Cops are more representative of the problem than the solution. How could a solitary hiker have interfered? I don't imagine he would have come upon a rescue in progress and immediately charged in, knocking SAR guys off the stretcher and barking orders at them... How was that idiot cop to know what his intentions were? Maybe he was planning an off-trail hike? Don't be sheeple Col Forbin, we have enough of those aimlessly milling about doing as they're told...

Postby smoove » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 am

Kojones wrote:When I hiked Pikes Peak via crags in May one year on a day when not many people were out, I was headed down and at one of the last places the route goes by the road there were a couple Pikes Peak Highway vehicles parked blocking the road and turning drivers around. I got closer and saw a group of hikers who were told they could not continue up. Apparently there was a rescue situation at that time as well and they *didn't want more people confusing the situation* which I can understand.

Yeah, that was us. We got all the way to Devil's Playground and were turned around. We were not happy campers. But we were told that somebody in a t-shirt and tennis shoes had wandered off and gotten lost in nasty conditions on some other recent day. We were obviously (should have been obvious) dressed appropriately and the only weather at the time was some stiff wind. But I'm not sure there was any incident on that particular day. Someone made the decision that no cars or hikers would be allowed to proceed after a certain time of day.

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

I just love the flavor of the tone in this thread... the assumption that the lone hiker (you putting yourself in their place) is automatically the more all-knowing entity in the exchange and automatically in the right. They had a reason to "close" access and refuse you to go by. You could always call the local jurisdiction and ask just why you were turned away from access to the public lands... it's not the end of your freedoms, however. Go back tomorrow. When I went to the White House - the PEOPLE'S house - when GHWB was in office in 1990, there was no tour that day... life sucks like that sometimes - but it's not a freakin' conspiracy.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Doug Shaw » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 pm

I was going to post that since I was not there, I would defer to the judgement of the people who were there and who made the call on restricting access.

But then I remembered This Is The Internet, Dammit... so I got my panties real good and wadded up, summoned up all the righteous indignation I can muster about something that didn't affect me, and now I'm going to bitch in a seemingly-profound way about The Man and other stuff keepin' me down, until I get older and look back on how I used to behave and realize what a complete idiot I was.

(Alas, it seems like some people skip that very last bit...)

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:I just love the flavor of the tone in this thread... the assumption that the lone hiker (you putting yourself in their place) is automatically the more all-knowing entity in the exchange and automatically in the right. They had a reason to "close" access and refuse you to go by. You could always call the local jurisdiction and ask just why you were turned away from access to the public lands... it's not the end of your freedoms, however. Go back tomorrow. When I went to the White House - the PEOPLE'S house - when GHWB was in office in 1990, there was no tour that day... life sucks like that sometimes - but it's not a freakin' conspiracy.

Agreed.

First World Problems.

On another topic, I prefer a tinfoil jumpsuit.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Col_Forbin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 pm

chrismjx, now you sound ignorant and defensive! :wft:

I was simply pointing out how you need to see the bigger picture of the SAR operation, and have some respect for that. yes, a lone hiker would probably not have interfered with the operation, but the fact remains that they closed the area. a person's hiking agenda is secondary to a SAR rescue operation. nuff said

lobo and shaw speak the truth

PreviousNext