Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Turned away at TH (Is this standard?)

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Turned away at TH (Is this standard?)

Postby Bowman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Yesterday afternoon, I arrived at Lake Como road, planning on backpacking up to the lake and hiking B & E the following morning. There were several SAR congregated at the beginning of the road. As I drove past, I was immediately "pulled over" by a member of the county sheriff's office, who told me that I was not allowed to hike in, explaining that there was a rescue in progress. He said that that they would be a few hours. I then drove back to the beginning of the road, planning to wait until they had completed the rescue (I had nothing else to do). The same officer approached me and told me I had to leave the road and that I would not be able to hike in the area that night.

Obviously, I do not and did not want to interfere with the search and rescue operation (I hope everyone is OK--I have not seen any news on the event). But is it standard to close down a trail (or road) and trailhead completely when an operation is being performed?
"—so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

Re: Turned away at TH (Is this standard?)

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Perhaps one of the SAR folks can comment, but I’ve never encountered that before. I can see closing a portion of the area if there was concern with interfering with a technical rescue. But being told you have to leave the area smells like he was playing “I’m in charge” cop.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby jdorje » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:10 pm

I wonder if it was a military-related rescue?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby MonGoose » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Man, that sucks. Perhaps there was a bear causing havoc in the area? Although the sheriff would have probably stated that. You might try calling the County Sheriff's office and asking why the road was closed / if it's been re-opened. Maybe you'll get a few more details.

Postby cftbq » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Well, yes, this is the new "standard" in the police state of Amerika. Enforcers now feel that they can close off whatever area they want to operate in, for any reason whatsoever, for as long as they happen to feel like it, under any and all circumstances. The perfidious courts now have a long history of explicitly backing them up on this, and the once-sovereign people have an equally long history of rolling over and allowing it to happen, so now they're very comfortable with it, and can be expected to go on behaving this way into the indefinite future...
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby Dave B » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 pm

cftbq wrote:Well, yes, this is the new "standard" in the police state of Amerika. Enforcers now feel that they can close off whatever area they want to operate in, for any reason whatsoever, for as long as they happen to feel like it, under any and all circumstances. The perfidious courts now have a long history of explicitly backing them up on this, and the once-sovereign people have an equally long history of rolling over and allowing it to happen, so now they're very comfortable with it, and can be expected to go on behaving this way into the indefinite future...

Put down the AM radio and back away...

And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

"perfidious" ?!? LOL, really?
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby bigredmachine » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Dave B wrote:
cftbq wrote:Well, yes, this is the new "standard" in the police state of Amerika. Enforcers now feel that they can close off whatever area they want to operate in, for any reason whatsoever, for as long as they happen to feel like it, under any and all circumstances. The perfidious courts now have a long history of explicitly backing them up on this, and the once-sovereign people have an equally long history of rolling over and allowing it to happen, so now they're very comfortable with it, and can be expected to go on behaving this way into the indefinite future...

Put down the AM radio and back away...

And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

"perfidious" ?!? LOL, really?

Well played

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Now this is getting creepy. On one occasion back in the 90s I got to help SAR above Lake Como. I’m sure they would have been happy for extra help, not turning people away. Anyway when my tired butt got back to camp at Lake Como, some yahoos were camped next to us. They had a shotgun which they were using for splitting wood. :shock: And they were wearing tin foil on their heads. :wft: We left first thing the next morning before they woke for the day.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 pm

MountainHiker wrote: I’m sure they would have been happy for extra help, not turning people away.

Sometimes having untrained people search for a lost person can confound the search because they don't know certain signs to look for, and can just as easily destroy those subtle clues.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: UNs 7231 and 6845

Postby scottfarish » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:51 pm

According to the Alamosa SAR Facebook post, one of their own rolled his/her vehicle down a steep embankment (presumably Lake Como Road), and a heli-evac was required. I'm guessing that they closed access to everyone due to a vehicle extraction.

Postby djkest » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 am

I fail to see how one hiker on foot can jeopardize a search and rescue effort requiring the closure of such a large area.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Kojones » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 am

When I hiked Pikes Peak via crags in May one year on a day when not many people were out, I was headed down and at one of the last places the route goes by the road there were a couple Pikes Peak Highway vehicles parked blocking the road and turning drivers around. I got closer and saw a group of hikers who were told they could not continue up. Apparently there was a rescue situation at that time as well and they *didn't want more people confusing the situation* which I can understand.

At the same time, I am very curious as to what groups have what authority to close down what plots of land in what jurisdiction. Or, if, say, those hikers continued there (or on a different peak without a highway authority), could they be ticketed, arrested, or just yelled at?

Would love some insight into this!

Cheers,
Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Next