Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Holy Cross snow conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Holy Cross snow conditions

Postby DrewR » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 am

Has anyone been up on Holy Cross in the last few weeks? I'm contemplating a climb this weekend and would love some intel. Thanks.

Re: Holy Cross snow conditions

Postby Rambler » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Postby bbutzin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:01 am

Okay so that links to a thread that says nothing about snow conditions. The OP didn't ask about burning benches in the Notch Mtn shelter...

So yeah, anybody know anything about snow conditions? I know the road is just opening, but maybe somebody has been ambitious in the last 30.

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:33 am

I know you are looking for beta on the current snow but I thought I would add this. I have come into the habit of taking slope measurements of couloirs as I go up because I am finding that they are usually overestimated by 5-10 degrees. Unfortunately I have never done measurements of Cross Couloir but I think it is generally ~35 with isolated spots at 40. The top exit could be steeper depending on the year. My point is that if it is soft enough to hammer pickets then it is an easy self arrest so pickets are pointless, if its really hard, screws or rock pro would be the way to go if you feel the need to protect. For reference, the top 3rd of the left fork of Angelica is steeper than the Cross.

Postby Dex » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:59 am

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Tommy Dorr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:41 am

Hey Dex,

That trip report is from last year. Cool vid.

Postby Dex » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Tommy Dorr wrote:Hey Dex,

That trip report is from last year. Cool vid.

Sorry about that.

Now you know why you don't want to hike with me!
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 am

IMG_1953 - Copy - Copy.JPG
IMG_1953 - Copy - Copy.JPG (227.59 KiB) Viewed 219 times

Conditions as of yesterday morning (June 22nd). It was pretty soft by 10am.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby cheeseburglar » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 am

Why.jpg
Why.jpg (184.13 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Quite a crowd in the Why? (the coulior formerly known as the cross) yesterday (6/22).
My dad hiked to the Notch shelter while we went up the mountain.
Angelica looked pretty good.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes