The Sawtooth

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lamb
14ers: 26  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The Sawtooth

Post by Lamb »

Thanks for the beta.
Lamb
14ers: 26  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lamb »

As of 6/22 the only snow you have to go through is off of the decent of Bierstadt, and it is not too bad.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Thanks for the beta! Just curious, you happen to get any sort of a look at Bierstadt's East Ridge? Looking to do the Tour d'Abyss tomorrow.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
James Scott
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (39)

Post by James Scott »

Greg-
Would you please post conditions on the route when you return? I'm doing that route Monday with a couple of climbers getting their first class 3 experience, and I would really appreciate knowing exactly what to expect. Thanks so much!
James
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."
smcobert24
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by smcobert24 »

I too am doing the Sawtooth Monday... hiking in from the Abyss Lake Trail (Scott Gomer Creek TH) and camping at the base of Bierstadt's south ridge Sunday (23 JUN) night. Waking up at 0330 to begin ascent to Bierstadt. Then descending Evans southwest slope. Depending on how I feel, I might venture over to Rosalie Peak before heading back to the TH.

~Current pics of the Sawtooth now would be much appreciated :)
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

No pics, but saw it yesterday from Evans. There was one significant snow field (approx 75-100 yards) when descending from Bierstadt. A few smaller fields from Abyss Lake up to the Tooth
James Scott
Trip Reports (39)

Post by James Scott »

smcobert24-
I doubt if we will see you Monday if you're leaving that early, but keep an eye out. There will be three of us. We're hoping to be on route by 6AM, coming down the Evans- Epulet saddle couloir. Leave a few cold beers just above the Sawtooth for us!

Enjoy the day!
James
smcobert24
Trip Reports (3)

Post by smcobert24 »

Yeah I'm trying to Summit to catch the sun rise... we'll see how it goes :-D
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Did Bierstadt's East Ridge today, intending to go over the Sawtooth and complete the Tour d'Abyss, but a late start, slow speeds, and clouds forced us to drop back down to Abyss lake and just go back up where we dropped down. Anyway, the snowfield coming off of Bierstadt towards the Sawtooth is still there, I'd recommend axe and crampons, but you can skirt around most of it if you rock hop on the right (as you descend), then cross it at a fairly obvious spot. Only saw a minor remnant if the snow that was previously on the N side of the Sawtooth, should be effectively dry once you cross over.

Also, where we dropped off of Evans to start, the main gully has about 20 vertical feet of snow across most of it, but with careful route finding it can be avoided. Bierstadt East Ridge is dry.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
smcobert24
Trip Reports (3)

Post by smcobert24 »

The Sawtooth is good to go... just finished Bierstadt > Sawtooth > Evans from Abyss TH... There is some snow descending from Bierstadt... but its holding well. The West side of the Sawtooth is bare and excellent condition. I think i saw James' party of three descending into the Sawtooth as I was Summiting Evans :)
Last edited by smcobert24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Scott
Trip Reports (39)

Post by James Scott »

That was probably us! We had a great day on the Tour de Abyss- such a great route.

The snow that you descend getting down from Bierstadt to the Sawtooth is very steep. It was plenty soft for us and we felt comfortable using kicked steps and adding our own on it, but a slide would have been very dangerous. If a person was to descend earlier when the snow is harder, it would be risky in my humble.

Will post a trip report in a day or so.