Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wilsons Condition Update

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Wilsons Condition Update

Postby dubsho3000 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 am

A fine first post on 14ers.com - thanks!

Postby basincruiser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Bump. Anyone have any further (recent) updates on the Wilsons conditions, particularly the snow?

We are planning on hiking El Diente/Mt. Wilson with traverse from Kilpacker this Sat June 30, then Wilson Peak from ROA TH the following Monday. We don't have ice ax or crampons. Is it possible to do these routes safely by next weekend w/o them? Particularly concerned about coming back down the Mt. Wilson South slopes, the traverse, and Wilson Peak.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Marty

Postby Justin9 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:06 pm

There are several short snowfields to cross if you are ascending El Diente from Kilpacker. I had an axe with me and used it 3 times. The snow on the way up is passable without axe but will require a short climb up and around. The remaining snow will not be melted by next weekend. The traverse is completely snow free. We descended back into Kilpacker and there are several steep, unavoidable sections of snow to descend. I was definetly happy to have an axe on the way down or there would have been a lot of difficult down climbing to do to avoid the snow in the gullies. You can descend into navajo basin and. Connect to the kilpacker trail though. From silver pick TH, there are also several snow patches but none above the ROA saddle leading to Wilson Peak. I think you'll be fine without axe or crampons for WP from silver pick

Postby basincruiser » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Justin9 wrote:There are several short snowfields to cross if you are ascending El Diente from Kilpacker. I had an axe with me and used it 3 times. The snow on the way up is passable without axe but will require a short climb up and around. The remaining snow will not be melted by next weekend. The traverse is completely snow free. We descended back into Kilpacker and there are several steep, unavoidable sections of snow to descend. I was definetly happy to have an axe on the way down or there would have been a lot of difficult down climbing to do to avoid the snow in the gullies. You can descend into navajo basin and. Connect to the kilpacker trail though. From silver pick TH, there are also several snow patches but none above the ROA saddle leading to Wilson Peak. I think you'll be fine without axe or crampons for WP from silver pick

Thanks so much for the info. This helps a lot. :mrgreen: Guess we'll have to change our plans to do another peak this weekend, and hit El Diente/Wilson later in the season. :x

Previous