Holy Cross Wilderness: Changes to Regulations for 2013

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Holy Cross Wilderness: Changes to Regulations for 2013

Post by Chicago Transplant »

(Bill can you please "Sticky" this thread to help spread the word? Thanks!)

Attention fellow mountain climbers, the Forest Service has revised their management plan for Holy Cross Wilderness. There are some very important changes that everyone needs to know with regards to climbing Mount of the Holy Cross in particular, but the regulations have changed throughout Holy Cross Wilderness. Thanks for your adherence to these regulations to help protect this special area. I volunteer with the Forest Service and we were introduced to these new regulations at our annual training session just this past week. The Wilderness Rangers asked me to post, if you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer, or forward your questions on to the rangers.

FYI - the road is still closed for Elk Calving until June 20. You can hike or bike the road during this closure, but no motorized use.

Below is a sample list of the most pertinent and a link to the full list. Below is also a map sent to me by one of the Wilderness Rangers that shows the camping regulations in East Cross Creek more clearly. The regulations are now as follows:

Permits:
Permits must be filled out for overnight use, they are self-issuing and free and available in boxes at the trailhead. One per group is sufficient, each person does not need their own. (this is a change, it used to be required for all visitors, now just overnight visitors needs one)

Group Size:
15 person maximum on a group and a maximum combination of 25 people and pack or saddle animals in one group. Meaning 15 people and 10 horses are okay, but 16 people and 9 horses are not! (no change from previous)

Camping:
1. No camping within 100 feet of any lake, stream, National Forest System Trail, or any "no camping" or "wilderness restoration site" sign. (no change)

2. East Cross Creek Camping: No camping except in designated sites as indicated on the map exhibit below. Please note that the sites are large enough to share among multiple parties and campers are encouraged to do so! As the trail opens up for the season I will get back in there and check them out and take some pictures to add to this thread. (this is a change, it used to be more of a free-for-all)

3. Notch Mountain Shelter is CLOSED to overnight use. You can still go in it in the daytime, but no camping is allowed anymore (this is a change, it used to be allowed)

4. No fires in the area around East Cross Creek/Bowl of Tears or Missouri Lakes/Fancy Lakes (no change, Missouri/Fancy was enacted in 2011)

5. No campfires allowed within 100 feet of any lake, stream, National Forest System Trail or within 1/4 mile of or above treeline. (no change)

Dogs:
Dogs must be under control and not harassing wildlife. They are NOT required to be on a leash anymore, but that does not mean you won't get fined or asked to put them on leash if you cannot demonstrate your dog is under voice control! (this is a change, leashed used to be required for all dogs)

General Wilderness:
As always, no motorized or mechanized equipment (including bikes or chainsaws); no wheelbarrows/wagons/game carts; no cutting switchbacks; no tethering stock animals within 100 feet of a lake, stream or trail; no storage of personal property longer than 72 hours; and no transporting of plant material including hay and straw (exceptions for pelletized feed).

Full Sized Map Here:
http://www.summitpost.org/holy-cross-camping-map/852564

Full Regulations Here:
http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView ... ement#regs

Last edited by Chicago Transplant on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness: Changes to Regulations for 2013

Post by d_baker »

Mike, you the man. Definitely not a troll. ;)
Thanks for posting the info!
jwinters
14ers: 58 
13ers: 153 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jwinters »

Thanks for the update!
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Thanks for keeping us posted.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

3. Notch Mountain Shelter is CLOSED to overnight use. You can still go in it in the daytime, but no camping is allowed anymore (this is a change, it used to be allowed)
Why?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

Thanks Mike.......needed to do a bit of updating over on SP.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Chicago Transplant wrote:

That's a real pity; it was a cool place to spend the night before attempting Halo Ridge--one of the few places above treeline you could safely observe a thunderstorm. Then again, for you rebels out there, I don't see the Forest Service going up every evening to lock the building. It would be interesting to know the rationale behind this decision, although my guess is that it's a liability issue.
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

I am sad to hear about the shelter. I was planning on my first summit this year and was hoping to stay there overnight.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

tlongpine wrote:
Why?
Preservation of an historic structure, according to the woman who picked up the phone today at the HC Ranger District office.
please rotate your device
Stiffler_from_Denver
14ers: 58  1  2 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Stiffler_from_Denver »

Does anyone know what the fine would be if you were caught camping in the shelter? I just can't imagine how they would police it.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:I just can't imagine how they would police it.
Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
TehWoopig
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TehWoopig »

TallGrass wrote:
Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:I just can't imagine how they would police it.
Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.
Someone is going to hike up there every day and lock it and then hike back down? :?