Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Holy Cross Wilderness: Changes to Regulations for 2013

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Holy Cross Wilderness: Changes to Regulations for 2013

Postby dnye » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:42 am

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote:
Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:I just can't imagine how they would police it.
Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.

Someone is going to hike up there every day and lock it and then hike back down? :?

I hear they suckered an $8/hour summer intern to hike up there twice a day. \:D/

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 pm

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote:
Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:I just can't imagine how they would police it.
Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.
Someone is going to hike up there every day and lock it and then hike back down? :?
No, I mean like lock it up 24/7. The benches in there are already chained to the walls -- they're split logs, there's no wood for the fireplace, and it gets pretty cold up there at night. I've seen other structures under the feds (e.g. NPS) that used to be accessible but were locked up due to vandals and such.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby TehWoopig » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 pm

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote:
Stiffler_from_Denver wrote:Shelter already has a hasp and padlock, so I guess they'll just lock it.
No, I mean like lock it up 24/7. The benches in there are already chained to the walls -- they're split logs, there's no wood for the fireplace, and it gets pretty cold up there at night. I've seen other structures under the feds (e.g. NPS) that used to be accessible but were locked up due to vandals and such.

Well, they said it was going to be open during the day. It would be a shame to see it locked up permanently. I guess there are a lot of high elevation bench thieves running around over there. :-k

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:35 pm

TehWoopig wrote:
TallGrass wrote: No, I mean like lock it up 24/7. The benches in there are already chained to the walls -- they're split logs, there's no wood for the fireplace, and it gets pretty cold up there at night.
I guess there are a lot of high elevation bench thieves running around over there. :-k
Uh, again, fireplace w/o logs in a cold area and "split log" benches. Can't put together the concern or past problem there? "Sure use a fire right now, Jed. Hey, whatcha sittin' on there?"
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Gareth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm glad that I stayed in the shelter back in 2004 when I had the chance. It was a neat experience.

There is talk of granting the shelter National Historic Landmark status. That's nice and all, but it seems that it would possibly be another step toward making the shelter nothing but a museum piece to be looked at, but not touched.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:32 pm

With regards to Notch Shelter, one of the biggest concerns with the increase in overnight use over recent years has been human waste, above treeline at practically 13,000' is not a place that can handle human waste on that type of scale. This was one of the driving forces in the move to officially close it to overnight use.

The shelter is also meant as a place that is available to everyone as a lightning shelter or place to take a quick break, if people are camped in there it gives other visitors a feeling that they are not welcome and impacts their experience.

I don't know what the enforcement or fine policy is going to be with regards to the shelter, but please consider these two items in particular and respect the closure. Thanks.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Previous