San Juans in June

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
idance7
14ers: 38 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

San Juans in June

Post by idance7 »

I'm thinking about climbing some of the san juan range in early/mid june and Im not comfortable with an ice axe or crampons. Is june too early to climb with out an ice axe or would micro spikes work fine? Also, when does the monsoon usually start? Is it dry until the monsoon starts or are there just fewer storms? (i plan to solo most of these)
I lift my eyes to the mountains-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth! He will not let your foot slip; the one who watches over you will not sleep. Psalm 121:1-3
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: San Juans in June

Post by San Juan Ron »

June is usually VERY DRY (the last couple years virtually no moisture in June) with the monsoon beginning the last week of June (usually drier t-storms) with the real rain showing up around July 1st. As you probably know, the San Juan Mountains are having a very poor year with snowpack (maybe 50% of normal). The ice ax question is difficult to answer because it depends on where you are climbing -- but, unless something changes this month -- it probably won't be needed. SJ Ron
idance7
14ers: 38 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by idance7 »

That is very good news! i am planning on climbing wetterhorn, sneffels, and uncompaghre all on the normal routes. i noticed that in years past ice axes were needed until mid june. im glad thats not the case this year!
I lift my eyes to the mountains-where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth! He will not let your foot slip; the one who watches over you will not sleep. Psalm 121:1-3
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

Put your ice axe and crampons in your truck, and make a decision when you get there...
Gphunk88
14ers: 30 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gphunk88 »

I am also planning to spend at least a few weeks in the San Juans this summer, however I was planning on July... After reading this post is it wise to say that I shouldn't go in July with the monsoon or what other info could anyone give me on this subject? Also, (in an effort to not post redundant threads) I plan spending (hopefully) the better part of June in the Sawatch. Could anyone provide me with weather info or typical trail conditions during June? Thanks in advance and I always appreciate any help I can get from this site haha.
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Gphunk88 wrote:I am also planning to spend at least a few weeks in the San Juans this summer, however I was planning on July... After reading this post is it wise to say that I shouldn't go in July with the monsoon or what other info could anyone give me on this subject? Also, (in an effort to not post redundant threads) I plan spending (hopefully) the better part of June in the Sawatch. Could anyone provide me with weather info or typical trail conditions during June? Thanks in advance and I always appreciate any help I can get from this site haha.
The monsoon isn't prohibitive, it's just an additional element to consider. It's actually nice to have less weather ambiguity--count on a several-hour downpour every afternoon and possibly for entire days. Start early, turn around judiciously, and be prepared to be tentbound if you're backpacking.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Sartorius78
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 46 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sartorius78 »

How do able do you think Mt wilson/eldiente combo be form kilpacker on memorial weekend? Along with wilson peak form sliver pick?