Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

La Plata - Mid June

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

La Plata - Mid June

Postby Faldron » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am

I could use some guidance planning a weekend trip June 15,16 with La Plata (NW ridge) as my goal. I have completed 18 unique 14ers with a few repeats, but they have always been late August or early September.

I apologize if these are simple questions, but I'm having trouble finding the information that I'm looking for.

Being from Chicago and never experiencing Colorado in June, I have no idea what to expect snow-wise (except what I've seen in trip reports). I'd love to pack light since I am flying out Saturday morning and flying home Monday morning, but I cannot determine if I'll need my ice axe and/or crampons. Is it safe to say that I will not need an ice axe mid June? Or, is it too early to say one way or another? Should I wait to decide and check conditions the week before? Any advice on mid-June planning would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: La Plata - Mid June

Postby FCSquid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 am

In mid-June, you probably should be packing both axe and crampons. I did the Southwest ridge a couple of years ago at roughly the same time of year, and there was still a good deal of snow on the route. I never did need the crampons, but I used my ice axe in several places.

With all the recent snowfall in the last few weeks, it looks like the peaks will all be holding snow much longer than last year.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin