Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Shavano winter route (Angel of Shavano) - beta?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Shavano winter route (Angel of Shavano) - beta?

Postby shaunster_co » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:53 am

If anyone has any recent beta on the winter route up Angel of Shavano I would appreciate it. Specifically if the GPS tracks have changed from the CO Trail junction since the trees / deadfall from last year. I know the standard route was cleared, but hadn't heard any mention if the winter route was. I would prefer to avoid an 'unfun' tour through deadfall if possible. I haven't been to Shavano since deadfall happened. The angel was hardly even filled in last year so I didn't bother with a ski descent attempt, but this year is looking more promising. So, if anyone has recent beta of that particular route / ski descent I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Re: Shavano winter route (Angel of Shavano) - beta?

Postby ak47 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 am

check ou tr's and conditions, seem to be no issues with the infamous deadfall, summit ski is in but bony for sure, the angel is skiing great.

Postby jmc5040 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Angel of Shavano.jpg
Angel of Shavano.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Taken this afternoon
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby gregpeak » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:23 pm

We hiked to the base of the Angel a few weeks ago before all the new snow. The main trail is clear all the way to the turnoff to the base of the angel. There is deadfall after that but it is not too bad. There is not much of a trail at that point anyway. Just head through the woods following the path of least resistance.
I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer.
Jimmy Buffet

Postby shaunster_co » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:27 am

Awesome Jordan, thanks for the recent pic!