Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale 4/21/13

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Yale 4/21/13

Postby Dex » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Denny Creek - standard route

A great sunny day for Yale. I started at 6:30a and the snow was soft - sunk in about 6" then I had to put on snow shoes from just before the 2nd stream crossing to above the tree line to make the trench. There is still a lot of snow above the tree line but it isn't too deep. I didn't make it to the summit.

On the way down the snow was getting slushy and bare spots were appearing at lower elevations.

I was expecting to see much more snow from the recent weather. At this point all I would recommend are gaiter, snow shoes, sun screen and glacier glasses.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Yale 4/21/13

Postby vdavidoff » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the report. I think I'll be making an attempt this coming Saturday. Curious, were trail/avalanche conditions part of why you didn't make the summit?

Andy

Postby climbnowworklater » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 am

Right on Dex.
I was thinking Sunday would be a good day but wasn't sure. Thanks for the post. If I attempt this saturday with Andy your trench will most likely help us out. Take care.
"the best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

Postby Dex » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 am

vdavidoff wrote:Thanks for the report. I think I'll be making an attempt this coming Saturday. Curious, were trail/avalanche conditions part of why you didn't make the summit?

Andy

No. It was that all that snow shoeing took too much time and I knew it would be a slog on the way down.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby vdavidoff » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 am

Cool. Thanks again for the conditions report.

Andy